SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Fishy smell
fowlmouths

06-10-2014 10:36 AM

Has anyone else noticed a fishy smell on Dartmouth Road in the mornings?
When I walk to work along Dartmouth Road, I start to smell a really strong smell fo fish around the end of Clyde Vale. It's not a fresh or rotten fish smell, but it's really pungent and smells more like fish is being prepared for something. Is there any sort of food factory around there?

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
PollyEster63

06-10-2014 12:07 PM

I think one of the industrial units in Clyde Vale makes pet food. The smell is awful!

PVP

07-10-2014 07:37 AM

This came up a while ago:

http://www.se23.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=6796

I never knew about the pet food place.

michael

23-07-2015 10:03 AM

Yesterday evening I was driving home (with windows closed) and noticed a strange smell in the town centre, I noticed it again this morning.

I think the culprit is all the flowers that have been planted in the town centre, which are making the junction of the south circular and Dartmouth Road smell rather pleasant.

It makes me think that perhaps it is something that we could focus on, planting specific flowers that have a strong smell, to bring a pleasant air to the south circular.

Perryman

23-07-2015 11:42 AM

I'm not sure that any town with the south circ running through it is every going to smell that nice, but it would be nice if authorities were taking steps to make the air a little less poisonous - it will kill 10% of us as it stands.

I suspect the worst culprit is the particulates (fine soot) produced by the buses and lorries, so step 1 is to quickly phase out diesel vehicles. I'm afraid we were all lied to that diesel is environmentally friendlier.
Bring the trams back.

Another step would be plant more trees by the sides of busy roads - they are natural filters. The more the merrier - they are saving lives. (What ever happened to the trees promised and paid for on Perry Vale side?)

There need to be controls on traffic volume - those days when the pollution levels are approaching the limit, then through traffic needs to be rerouted.
All vehicles need to be electronically tagged so we can be more selective on any restrictions.

Planting scented flowers is an excellent idea, but they are just covering up a pretty serious problem.

PollyEster63

23-07-2015 06:00 PM

It did smell particularly manky on Monday morning, seems to have disappeared for now.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields