SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (2): « First < Previous 1 [2] Last »
Restaurants in SE London
lacb

14-10-2014 10:43 AM

Some confusion here I feel. Like Bcm, we also get on very well with Roberto. He doesn't have any children though and none of this chimes with any experience I have had there.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Pippi

14-10-2014 10:58 AM

There's a younger (40ish) guy with a London accent, quite stocky, short hair, but with almost exactly the same (very distinctive!) face, so, if not 'son', then I'm presuming some sort of relation. Again, could be wrong, don't sue me. Anyway, this one guy is curt, rude, sarcastic and disrespectful.
But enjoy yourselves, don't mind me, I'm certainly not going to tell you never to darken their doors again! Different strokes etc.....

sandy

14-10-2014 12:22 PM

Yes, I have been to Mediterannea and liked it. I'm not an expert but thought the food was fine and the service very friendly. I have been to Le Querce a few times but not recently as I wasn't impressed with the food or service on the last couple of occasions. I do plan to go again some time.

oryx

14-10-2014 10:39 PM

I have been eating at Le Querce regularly since moving here seven years ago and it's my favourite restaurant. The owners now know us and we've always found them friendly and very nice.

One new year (2008/9?) we had the multi-course tasting menu and it was one of the best meals I've ever eaten - fatty tuna (better than it sounds), tagliatelle in brodo, seafood dishes etc. It wasn't cheap but well worth it.

I don't get why people moan about the interior. I think it looks lovely, with the brightly coloured walls and artwork.

If/when we eventually move away from the area this will be the main business we miss, by a very great margin, and it's a place I'd happily travel to from other parts of London.

Other places locally - I like the Babur, but find it noisy and it tends to attract large parties, and their relentless marketing techniques are a bit much...

Gone right off Donde - I used to like it but the service the last few times we have been has been Fawlty Towers and we've had to send food back (pink inside, half frozen white fish, anyone?). It also has a distinctive smell I don't like.

Love The Gantry. The one time I ate at Stone Bar it was very good, but it is bit clubby for just eating (we were at a birthday). Miss Tai Wu, and miss having a decent Thai restaurant (the ones on Gellatly Road and Brockley Road are not decent), though I have heard there's a good Thai café in Brockley.

This post was last modified: 14-10-2014 10:39 PM by oryx.

lacb

15-10-2014 10:16 AM

Already mentioned up-thread, but if it's Thai you are after there is the Begging Bowl in Peckham Rye. Probably best Thai in south London IMO.

mickeymonkey

17-10-2014 10:35 AM

The Bear Freehouse, Camberwell. Awards winning Sunday Roast but exceptional quality French food at other times. None of the generic pub rubbish seen in other establishments and all home made with great flavour Smile

Jane2

22-10-2014 10:39 PM

Just to add I went to La Querce a few days ago for a very nice lunch, pasta for my daughter and bruschetta for myself. Roberto has never been anything but attentive and courteous when I've been there. It wasn't that busy so I really hope some of the negative opinions on SE23.com haven't put people off as that would be a real shame. I can honestly say I have only had good experiences there.

However I have to admit to not having had extensive travelling experiences of Italy or Sardinia so not sure if my experience counts... Wink

Pippi

23-10-2014 08:30 AM

Sigh. That was said in response to the suggestion that people who don't like Le Querce may not have experienced 'real' Italian food.
I hope people continue to go there too, and make up there own minds about it.

This post was last modified: 23-10-2014 08:30 AM by Pippi.

michael

23-10-2014 09:34 AM

I've just been speaking to a friend who is Italian and married to a Sardinian. They have been to Le Querce a few times and confirm that it is 'real' Sardinian food - 'more Sardinian than the stuff you get in Sardinia'. Particular praise for the anti-pasta - 'I would go back just for that' and the quality of the Sardinian wines.

In fairness, less enthusiasm for the main courses, which are good, but could possibly be better.

This seems to chime with my experiences and I would suggest people focus on the starters and the desserts and think of the main course as something nice to eat between courses!

But I have little doubt that Le Querce is a great local place to eat, definitely something special in South East London.

Jane2

23-10-2014 10:55 AM

Pippi I was joking!! Hence the wink! I was just picking up on a similar comment in yours and lacb's posts. Smile Please don't take offence.

Pippi

23-10-2014 12:25 PM

Not at all Jane, just a bit underslept today Smile

There's a massive difference between voicing a subjective opinion, however negative, about a shop / restaurant / public business, and being negative towards private citizens - many posting anonymously - albeit on a public messageboard. Apart from taking a very tongue-in-cheek sideswipe at the word 'banter' (meaning no offense to the person who *used* the word, with whom I have absolutely no issue, and am sorry if I upset) I fail to see what I've said to incur some real vitriol on here.

But I agree with what you said on the R.T. thread Jane, I'm gonna try really hard to couch my language to be more constructive, more for the sake of the local businesses involved than anything else.

This post was last modified: 23-10-2014 12:25 PM by Pippi.

Iain

29-10-2014 04:22 PM

London Beer Dispensary, next to Mr Lawrence at Crofton Park. Excellent burgers, excellent choice of local beers

mgmonkey

14-11-2014 03:58 PM

There appeared to be people doing things inside the pub formerley known as the Catford Bridge Tavern yesterday.

There have also fitted bollards (of a kind) in the pub parking spaces?

Anybody know whats going on?

Much as though I love the CCC, I preferred the CBT as a space to sit and booze in.

WestLondonLad82

19-11-2014 10:07 AM

Surprised nobody has mentioned Meze Magnal in ST Johns

PVP

20-11-2014 08:46 AM

It was bought by Camden Bars a while ago but there were issues with Tesco holding onto the lease. They own some very decent pubs north of the river so things looking up. I think expecting to open early next year.

Pages (2): « First < Previous 1 [2] Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  London Road Restaurants junegapi 9 9,803 28-02-2010 06:12 PM
Last Post: oryx