SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Topic Closed  Post Topic 
Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »
HOPfest Sat 20th September - Help Needed!
Tersie

05-09-2014 10:33 AM

Hi All

HOPFEST - is a fab festival in Honor Oak Park coming up on September 20th - there will be fun for all the family Smile

A part of Ballina Street will be closed off for the day artists and food stalls, there will also be a bouncy castle for the kids as well face painting, magician, and other events going on in the businesses.

Neroli is kindly sponsoring bouncy castle supervision. We urgently need 2 x CRB checked first aiders for 4.5 hours each, each person will recieve £45 as a thank you for their time.

Please PM me if you are interested or know anyone who might be to help.

Thanks! Thumbup

Find all posts by this user
wuluf

16-09-2014 08:44 PM

Hi as a resident of Ballina st until today when I received a leaflet informing me that the street is to be closed and there will be a market on Saturday I was unaware this was taking place. Can I ask you when were the residents of the street asked if they would like this to take place on our doorstep and if so what was the majority of residents that were asked.

I also would wish to know which organisation is responsible for this event and on what grounds the application to hold it in Ballina st was submitted to the council.

Tersie

17-09-2014 05:51 AM

The festival is run by community / businesses in the Crofton Park ward. It is called Croftfest meets Hopfest. Ballina Street is only going to be closed between the stables (Sienna Place) and the main road. With regard to the closure we were asked to gain signatures of those directly effected by the closure in the section closed, which was done and approved. There is still full access to the street via Lessing and Grierson Road. It will be a lovely event for the community. Sorry if you feel inconvenienced by this Wuluf.

wuluf

17-09-2014 07:08 AM

Hi

No I am not happy this is to take place and the fact that you did not bother to consult or seek the views of all the street residents speaks of arrogance to me.

Please note I will be making a formal complaint to the council and will be asking how and on which criteria this event and short notice of the street closure was approved.

hoona

17-09-2014 07:20 AM

Community spirit wuluf?

wuluf

17-09-2014 07:48 AM

If someone puts on a community event the least I would expect them to is to consult the community that will be most effected, should that not be standard practice?

Even though hopfest has been advertised for a while there has been no mention on their glossy posters or leaflets that a market is to be held in Baliina St. I would like to know why we residents of the street have appeared to been kept in the dark.

I am more annoyed that we were not informed of this happening until very late in the day than the nature of the event.

nitoda

17-09-2014 08:04 AM

Where can we buy that community spirit then, Hoona? As this event seems to be all about selling, will the Off Lcence and/or Honoer Oak Supermarket be selling it on the day? Hope it doesn't intoxicate people too much!Confused

Tersie

17-09-2014 08:41 AM

Hi Wuluf,

Sorry you feel like this, the council were approaced and permission was granted based on information they requested from residents in the area to be closed. With hindsight, all Ballina Street residents should have been notified the event was being planned so they had a heads up. It's certainly something that would be done in the future if anything was going to be planned.

Hopefully HOPFEST won't inconvenience people too much and the community as a whole will enjoy it and see the greater good in having this type of event.

Poppy9560

17-09-2014 12:12 PM

I'm a 1st aider (first aid at work - not done child 1st aid) but not CRB checked- would this exclude me? As a member of the community I feel that would be a shame

Iceman

19-09-2014 03:15 PM

I'd like to think that the vast majority of people would support HOPfest. Given that we've just seen a case of democracy in action north of the border then the same should apply in HOP.

Provided the majority agree then it should go ahead irrespective of the complaints of the likes of Wuluf.

If a person were say moving house on that day then I think people would fully understand the rational objection but it's totally unnecessary to be so vehement in your opposition to a bouncy castle and face painting. Bizarre in the extreme.

I for one am very much looking forward to seeing the community spirit in full flow!

nitoda

19-09-2014 04:06 PM

When "communities" feel like safe and welcoming spaces to all then maybe you will find more tolerance, but seriously? You don't understand why everyone isn't delighted by the idea of lots of noise, chaos, random strangers etc. outside their home? Compulsory jollification is not everyone's thing. I view my home as my safe place in the jungle that is London. Events outside my home threaten that for me and I too am dreading Saturday and making plans to be away from home during the event as long as possible!

hoona

19-09-2014 06:19 PM

Nitoda, HOP is hardly the Bronx. The worst that could happen is having your toes run over by a posh pushchair or being jostled by a couple of hipsters! I for one am delighted that we live in an area of London that values community rather than the faceless streets where nobody cares about making a positive change.

banshee

19-09-2014 07:22 PM

I live in Ballina Street - quite close to the bit that's going to be closed off - and I think it's going to be great! Looking forward to it.

nitoda

19-09-2014 07:29 PM

Festivals, fetes etc. used to know their place and happen in clearly defined public places - Churches, Schools, Village Greens, Parks. A residential street just isn't the right place for that kind of thing. Neither you, nor anyone else will ever convince me otherwise, sorry.

lacb

19-09-2014 08:29 PM

What an odd reply. There have been festivals and parties on streets for as long as I can remember, residential ones too. It is just one day and I am looking forward to it!

nitoda

19-09-2014 09:05 PM

I'm 61 and have never had this kind of thing foisted on me where I live before, not in Wales, Scotland, Sussex, Durham or Yorkshire or in the last ten years in London. It's not as if I chose to live in Notting Hill. A passing parade on the day of a fete is the closest it's got to before. Parties in general are not my thing, so the idea of a street party is my idea of hell. I know this isn't a street party, but I dread the day some bright spark suggests one and hope they will give enough notice for me to arrange to be well out of earshot!

nitoda

19-09-2014 09:07 PM

What time is it kicking off? I'd like to be gone before it starts and away til after it's finished if at all possible.

daveherne

19-09-2014 10:51 PM

well i'll be going. sounds lovely! Smile

china girl

20-09-2014 07:10 AM

It kicks off at 10am; setting up is from 8.30 onwards so you'd better get your skates on, nitoda!

nitoda

20-09-2014 07:42 AM

Thanks - I could already hear the generator. Am safely out now.

Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields