SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Street art festival - Brockley/HOP nominated
roadrummer

04-09-2014 03:30 PM

Brockley road down to the bottom of HOP has been nominated for a street art festival that would involve a couple of international artists doing some murals in our neighbourhood.

Vote here! And spread the word…

http://londonist.com/2014/09/who-gets-a-...decide.php

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
edd

04-09-2014 09:09 PM

Is this the same sort of enterprise that produced that frightening bee/mutant woman/tea-drinker hybrid on the side of a building near Dulwich library, and the house further down Lordship Lane which is a hotch-potch of clashing scribbles, with the talented subsumed beneath the merely enthusiastic? Sad

Some graffiti is good/interesting (the pugilists near Goose Green), but most is complete tosh that gets tired-looking very quickly. It used to be ephemeral by its very nature, and as part of its charm, but the giant pieces created by people given free rein end up grotty very quickly. I'm thinking of the station underpass here....

I'm a big fan of our shop-shutter art in FH, but I think painting large brick walls requires a more measured approach than this festival suggests. It's a lot easier to replace a shop shutter than to clean paint off a porous brick wall.

Careful what you wish for.

love, an old fuddy-duddy.

Tinkerbell

05-09-2014 08:41 AM

Submitted. Go Brockley!

Grafitti artist Stik is known to have done some work around SE London, and has previously collaborated with Dulwich Gallery on creating murals in East Dulwich. Would be great if he could somehow be persuaded to be involved.

Below some pics I took his and other people's work around Brick Lane (some good, some great, some pretty horrible - but, if done legally and in a dedicated space, almost always better than a grey wall)

http://www.imageplotter.com/CityScapes/S.../i-nbJVqTL

edd

05-09-2014 07:43 PM

We'll have to agree to disagree on that, Tinkerbell.

Give me a nice piece of Victorian brickwork or a coat of whitewash any day. Laugh

Tinkerbell

05-09-2014 10:32 PM

I hear you edd - I even agree on the nice Victorian brickwork. But sadly, not everything is...nice Victorian brickwork. Nor even a plain whitewashed wall. There are plenty of unused and unloved ugly spaces around, though, and one or two of them could be transformed into something interesting. ...Cool

shaman

16-09-2014 02:38 PM
Tinkerbell

16-09-2014 05:20 PM

Great, thanks shaman! I'll try to post some pics once they get going.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields