SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Postal problems
dita-on-tees

10-08-2008 04:31 PM

I live on devonshire road and quite a number of bits of post have gone missing in the last couple of months - 2 credit cards, a debit card and birthday cards with cheques in them - one card was actually held in the sorting office as it didnt have enough postage on it - I paid online and they said they would deliver it - it didnt arrive. the post website is unhelpful as I have to fill several forms in.

anyone noticed things going missing and any suggestions of what to do. I spoke to the sorting office and they are usually reasonably helpful - not on this though

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Theotherbrian

10-08-2008 10:37 PM

I had an important letter from a solicitor sent to me in March, arrive a couple of weeks ago - it took four months to come from Wiltshire. I have also failed to receive statements and letters from a credit card company and a bank. I was beginning to think it was just me.

Londondrz

11-08-2008 08:28 AM

Post is not great in Forest Hill, a lot better than it was a couple of years ago when we got everyone elses post apart from ours and a credit card was delivered to a wrong address and then used.

We have set up the postal preference service to stop junk mail but we still get it, bloody irritating as it really is a waste of paper. I am tempted to keep it all and then dump it at the post office once a year.

Johnc

11-08-2008 09:30 AM

I also live on Devonshire, and while I don't recall anything going missing, the service is very unpredictable. hardly ever see the same postman twice and it can turn up any time beteen 10 and 16:30. Did have geta letter for next door a few weeks back and it looked important since it had a DSS logo on the envelope. Popped it round by hand the same day

Sherwood

11-08-2008 11:22 AM

A postcard was recently delivered in East Dulwich. It was posted in 1929!

shzl400

11-08-2008 11:24 AM

Ditto what Johnc said. Some days we don't seem to get post at all. some days, we seem to get the whole neighbourhood's. I also worry about things going missing. Like Johnc says, we also do hand deliveries to all our neighbours, including the four free lightbulbs that arrived for an address in an entirely different street and were simply left on our doorstep.

alex78

11-08-2008 11:56 AM

For the record - I live on Dartmouth Road and seem to get a very good service (certainly in comparison to other postings). The post is pretty much always delivered by the same postman, and at around the same time (circa 1pm).

In addition, I have never had an issue with either (a) lost post, or (b) overly slow post.

Perhaps the service on Devonshire road is coming from a different office (unlikely, but I guess could be possible)?

ringingcod

11-08-2008 12:56 PM

Something similar happened to a card delivered to us - it had the "underpaid" sticker on it despite the fact there was a stamp. Needless to say, the envelope had been opened. It appears this "promising" bit of post had been taken out of the ordinary system for later perusal with a spurious claim of underpayment, and then delivered as normal.

Having said that our postie seems OK and always comes at the same time each day (although whether you think 11am is an acceptable time for the post to arrive is a different matter).

brian

11-08-2008 05:01 PM

Dita do you live at no 20. I used to live at 120 and was forever geting post for flat 1 20 devonshire rd. I dropped them round from time to time
Did you see Royal Mail yesterday delivered a postcard poster in Burnham Essex in 1929. Beat that.

Snazy

13-08-2008 06:27 PM

Church Rise has been served really well over the last couple of years, but in recent weeks its become shocking.
I have seen a lot of temps walking about pushing the trolleys and carrying route maps with them, so this would explain the slowness of the service.

Disappointing as I was getting to like the regular guy. Hope he is ok.

Sherwood

13-08-2008 08:18 PM

I was walking past the sorting office one day and a postman asked me "Where is Stanstead Road?"!

Honor Oaker

18-08-2008 04:39 PM

I've already reported under another thread that we've had post go missing, including 2 chequebooks. A number of attempts have been made to use those cheques, including payment of ?6,000 credit card bill, but fortunately the cheques in question had already been stopped by the bank.

Holly

19-08-2008 08:21 AM

Hi Brian, I think that was my post that you received. Thanks for dropping it round, it is much appreciated. I don't think that is the postmans fault though it seems the DVLA don't like my address.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Postal problems Baytree 37 33,451 22-01-2012 09:58 AM
Last Post: snoopy