SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Fly tipping
CrustyRack

10-09-2014 08:33 PM

Does anyone know who fly tipping should be reported to if you know the people responsible? We took pictures, and they came out well despite the darkness. They were blatantly dumping building waste (planks of wood, old shelving, shop fittings etc etc) jamming them between the lamp post and fence at the bottom of Derby Hill.
The most disappointing thing is that we have gone out of our way to support this new business by buying items from there despite them being more expensive, and having half the range of similar businesses in Dulwich.

The owners do not live on the premises, but obviously think it's ok to make a mess of the surrounding area and leave builders waste for others to get rid of. How selfish. I now wonder if they are responsible for other rubbish that has been dumped there recently.

We won't be shopping there again....Thumbdownv

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
rshdunlop

10-09-2014 09:18 PM

Have you reported it to Love Lewisham? That's usually the quickest way. If you have evidence of who is responsible you could add a note to your report.

Londondrz

11-09-2014 07:21 AM

Call 101 and report it to police as it is a criminal offence. If you have pictures they will be very happy. The best course of action is to ring your local police station, if there still is one.

Please do this and let us know the results, fly tipping makes me madAngry

Anotherjohn

11-09-2014 08:11 AM

I totally agree that fly-tipping is an ugly and burdensome problem that needs to be stopped.
I don't know who the culprit is in this instance but I can only hope that they only put their rubbish there as a temporary measure after making a prior arrangement to have it taken away early this morning. I know that probably sounds a bit naive but I wish I'd seen what was going on because I would have spoken to the person and straightened things out before escalating the matter to potential prosecution.

CrustyRack

11-09-2014 11:15 AM

I have actually sent a message to the business via their facebook page informing them that I will take it further if the items are not removed before this evening. They have now dumped chairs and tables there. If you have builders waste for professional disposal, it is normally collected from the site; not a distance away, jammed in between a lamppost and some railings under cover of darkness and it would have labels affixed to it.
I was not going to confront the person doing it. It was dark and I don't know what their reaction would be, as they ferried the rubbish from the business to the dumping place.
The sad thing is, that by creating such an eyesore and making the area unattractive, they are putting off potential customers, as well as making the area less pleasant for residents.
We would regularly spend £15-20 a week there so that is £1000+ a year they have now lost in custom.
As I said before, I feel more disappointed than anything that a company would have so little regard for local residents and customers.

rshdunlop

11-09-2014 11:33 AM

It's easy to see who you mean if you check the Facebook pages for local traders that fit your description. While I agree that fly-tipping is entirely unacceptable, if you want to call them out by name, do it. It might be better, though, to remove the very obvious clues as to who it is until you get an answer from them.

CrustyRack

11-09-2014 11:48 AM

Many businesses in Forest Hill have facebook pages.

rshdunlop

11-09-2014 12:01 PM

That's true. But one of them has 'Please check your messages folder' posted on their timeline today. And they are the sort of business that fits in with the shopping habit you've described here. Could just be a co-incidence, of course.

CrustyRack

11-09-2014 12:08 PM

Do you work for Dyno Rod, or do you have nothing better to do with your time and your huge spoon? I have not checked all the facebook pages for all the businesses in Forest Hill so cannot comment. I sent the business in question a 'private' message, so you would be unable to see it.
Did they cancel Jeremy Kyle or something this morning?

rshdunlop

11-09-2014 12:13 PM

I follow most of local businesses on Facebook. There is a public posting as I described on one of them that appeared this morning. If you didn't post it, directing them to the private message you sent, then it's a coincidence. I just happened to notice it. It's right there on their page, no need to go hunting for it.

There's no need to be rude. I entirely agree that the fly-tipping is unacceptable.

ringingcod

11-09-2014 12:19 PM

The "mini recycling centre" at the junction of Brockley Rise and Codrington Hill used to get all sorts of rubbish left there. So the council removed all the bins except a clothes recycling bin. And all sorts of rubbish still gets left there.

Bcm

11-09-2014 06:18 PM

I'd actually like to know which business is responsible for this disrespectful behaviour, it's obviously not one I follow.

Anotherjohn

11-09-2014 08:14 PM

For what it's worth - I went along there this morning and the person had already started taking the stuff back into their shop because the guys who were supposed to take it had let them down.
Like everyone else, I agree that this pile of rubbish should never have been put there and left overnight, however, the person was genuinely sorry for what they'd done and I am 100% certain that they would ever do it again.

davidwhiting

11-09-2014 08:40 PM

Completely agree with those who are concerned at the tone of the 'disgusted of SE23' posts.

The first questions that came into my mind was 'did the shop owner put the rubbish there, or was it the builder, and, if the builder, what had actually been agreed between him and the shop owner regarding the disposal? (I have had builders walk off the job, by the way, so one develops a sense for these things.)

Frankly, the people who make such a good job of running that cafe are far too intelligent to do anything so stupid as to dump builder's rubbish in the street opposite their premises.

While things are improving in our town centre the commercial situation here is not without its fragilities. Intemperate criticism of a worthwhile local business doesn't help anyone, and I would counsel a little more thought before posting potentially defamatory material

Londondrz

11-09-2014 09:09 PM

If you pay for someone to dispose of waste on your behalf it is up to you to make sure they are a reliable company. Please don't bang on about how defamatory it is when someone posts about it. It has happened, someone has photo evidence.

I cannot understand how posters on here jump to the defence of a company that has paid cowboys.

You hold a responsible position in the community it is up to you to maintain it.

That said, people are let down and if the company in question has been let down and has taken steps to remedy the situation then fair play. I just hope that someone has the guts to report the offending party that did the dumping.

shaman

11-09-2014 09:42 PM

Where's the defamatory material?

rshdunlop

11-09-2014 09:45 PM

It was a mistake, it's been sorted, I think we can probably move on.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields