SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Cycling into/through central London
Medley

03-09-2014 11:38 AM

TfL consultations are out.

North South mostly segregated cycle track from Elephant to King's Cross:
https://consultations.tfl.gov.uk/cycling/northsouth

East West mostly seg. track from Tower Hill to Acton:
https://consultations.tfl.gov.uk/cycling...nsult_view

Have your say.

As a cyclist I think these are the most radical and welcome plans I've ever seen in my time cycling in London (since '05). Not that they're perfect, of course.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
clausy

03-09-2014 02:46 PM

I was just looking at these. It's a great start.

I used to cycle to the City via Vauxhall and the Embankment just for fun (rather than the direct route through Peckham) so I'll definitely enjoy that ride even more when it's a segregated roadway. Although I'll miss flying by people in their Aston's and Porsches stuck in traffic.

Switching to the Canary Wharf cycle now so I won't get to use what's being proposed much, but I guess this is all going to take a few years to implement anyway.

The nice thing about SE23 is that you can cycle to the West End, or the City, or Canary Wharf in 30-40 mins: it's the same distance whichever direction you go. Perfect location!

stepover

03-09-2014 04:23 PM

Well it's a start but I'm not sure I would bother using it anyway (I currently cycle up through Honor Oak, Brockley, Nunhead and Peckham to get the Bricklayers Arms roundabout and then on to the City).

With regard to the proposal itself the baffling thing to me seems to be that the route begins AFTER the Elephant & Castle roundabout. I think I have heard there are some plans to modify the roundabout itself for cyclists so perhaps that is kept separate from this consultation, but the key thing is that this is the Number 1 location for cyclist fatalities in London and it's getting across the roundabout safely that is the key issue - so it's no good starting this new safe route after the roundabout - it needs to start before.

Applespider

03-09-2014 08:24 PM

And there's a few handy hills for practicing hill repeats too... if you're that way inclined Wink

I'd seen the East-West plan but not the North South so thanks for posting the link.

For any other cyclists who go via Vauxhall, remember that the Oval/Vauxhall consultation closes on 14 Sept so if you want to have your say, there's not long left.

clausy

04-09-2014 08:35 AM

Details on the Elephant and Castle redesign are here

https://consultations.tfl.gov.uk/roads/e...and-castle

Medley

04-09-2014 11:16 AM

Yes, think E and C is a separate effort.

I think the key thing about these 2 new routes is that they are a start. If they can be done and shown to work well enough then hopefully there can be more in the future, building in what's learned from these.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  TfL proposed RADICAL changes to bus services in South and Central London samuelsen 12 8,030 09-07-2022 10:36 AM
Last Post: samuelsen