SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Hi Everyone.
Woody R

10-08-2014 02:19 PM

Hi Everyone.
This is my first post here, so would just like to give you a bit of background about me.

I lived most of my childhood and teenage years, in and around Forest hill and Brockley rise.

From 1952, i lived in Ackroyd road Brockley rise, then moved to the Prefabs right by the Railway, in Sydenham Park, was there until 1960 when they pulled them down to build flats.

We then, ( we, being myself and my Father, as my mother died ) moved back to Ackroyd road. I went to, what was then, Crofton Park secondary school, in the first year, the Annexe, was in Stillness Road. Then in the second, right up to the fourth year, i went to the main school building in Brockley rise, opposite Dalmain school.

When i was 14, i worked in a minimarket called BASSIES, i worked there after school and Saturdays. There were three of these shops two in Brockley Rise and one in Forest hill.

When i left school, i worked for the GPO, in 1966, we moved to Bovill Road.

I got married in 1969, my Father and Stepmother, moved to Deptford, in 1971, so my wife,myself and 18month old Daughter, took over the flat in Bovill road.

There is lots more to come, but i thought this would be a good intro, looking forward to hearing from you all.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Woody R

10-08-2014 04:25 PM

I would also like to add, that i no longer live in the Brockley Rise or Forest Hill area. I moved away years ago, but i found this forum by chance and thought i would see how the area has changed or not.

I should have put this into my original post, but i tried to edit it just now, but to late to do it.

So if people have got the impression that i still live in the area.

I just feel at my age, it's nice to go down memory lane sometimes and Brockley rise and Forest Hill, were a very big part of my life.

admin
Administrator

10-08-2014 06:22 PM

Welcome to the forum, Woody R, and thanks for sharing your local knowledge.

Maybe you're able to add to the following discussions re Forest Hill in the 60s:

Glenlyn Ballroom

Alpine Coffee Bar

Bcm

11-08-2014 08:53 PM

Welcome to the forum. I think you'd find a lot of changes to the area. I've seen plenty in just 4 short years, but also a lot of good things that have remained. The pools, the library, the Horniman, many of the pubs (though not necessarily with the same names as they had before!). Why not pop to the area and see for yourself? There is plenty to keep you entertained for a day trip Smile.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields