SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Honor Oak Park - photos from 19th century and now
Codrington Brill

28-07-2014 10:03 PM

This post was last modified: 28-07-2014 10:08 PM by Codrington Brill.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
OakR

28-07-2014 10:08 PM

They have photos on the wall in the fish and chip shop on the High Street dating back - always interesting to look at whilst waiting for the food to cook.

Thanks for posting - interesting.

BT

29-07-2014 06:59 AM

Lots of Street Lights back then Cool

This post was last modified: 29-07-2014 06:59 AM by BT.

michael

29-07-2014 09:12 AM

But not many trees, either in the street or on the hill.
I like One Tree Hill, but I'm not sure whether so many trees, bushes, and brambles should have been allowed to grow. They weren't there 100-200 years ago, and they break up the view over London.

I'm told that 20 years ago you could go sledging on One Tree Hill. Today that would be impossible as the slopes are covered by vegetation rather than snow.

I suspect the World War One gun emplacement would be totally useless now because of all the trees (and the lack of attacking zeppelins in the skies above London).

Medley

29-07-2014 09:37 AM

Agree about One Tree Hill - it's rather over-vegetated. I think there could be more of a balance between vegetation/wildlife haven and views. But it all costs money to manage - easier and cheaper to let them grow no doubt.

Always amazes me how much more vegetated lots of suburban landscapes are, when you compare photos of 100 years ago, say, and now.

robbrockley

29-07-2014 09:45 AM

Great older photo. Love all those lamps! It looks thriving - lots of shops. Wouldn't it be good to get it back to that again - although extremely unlikely that will ever happen.

lacb

29-07-2014 09:47 AM

Am not sure that it was a case of allowing vegetation to grow, more passive than that. I think just over 100 years ago there were still sheep grazing on the hill. More housing, less farming and the trees returned which I think is great - also gratifying that we don't have to contend with zeppelins (I don't think that gun emplacement ever fired a shot in anger but others like it did and it was a deterrent).

I agree re line of sight though - it would be lovely to protect the view of the City skyline. There are plenty of other places to enjoy sledging locally.

I love that picture of the parade - it would be great to try and restore some of that character: lampposts and capitals. Surely not so hard, the fabric is still there.

Medley

29-07-2014 11:17 AM

Agree about the high st. Shop fronts also an issue, as all over the UK.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields