SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Estate agent signs - FYI
hopper

05-08-2008 11:44 AM

I've had problems recently with an estate agent in Honor Oak, who have been refusing to take down their "let by" signs weeks after the new tenancies have begun.

I've been in touch with the council who have confirmed that all estate agents are obliged to take down their signs 14 days after the property has been sold or let. If like me, you're fed up with seeing these signs up for weeks on end, tackle the agents and if they refuse, get in touch with Lewisham's Planning Enforcement Dept who have been very helpful.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Baboonery

05-08-2008 11:54 AM

If you speak to them again, kindly nudge them in the general direction of the area between the Dartmouth Arms and Boots...

alisa

05-08-2008 12:22 PM

I suggest liberating the signs yourself. I've tried the calling the agent approach and it disn't work for me. Taking down the sign on the other hand was quite satisfying.

http://www.se23.blogspot.com/
alisa

05-08-2008 12:23 PM

I need spellcheck on this site!!

http://www.se23.blogspot.com/
brian

05-08-2008 01:39 PM

I agree with Alisa what the agents put up you can take down. If they start losing a few signs they will soon remove them when let/sold.
I am not we still need signs anyway. With the net and numerous local agents why are boards still required.

Holly

05-08-2008 02:04 PM

Thanks Hopper,

I have two outside my kitchen window and they didn't even let my flat its the ones the other side of the building.

(But obviously not enough people saw it there Huh)

pompom

05-08-2008 02:19 PM

Yes I know. It is very annoying. We took seven down after asking them to remove it and in the end it stopped. : )

Londondrz

06-08-2008 08:55 AM

Just after we arrived in FH we had a board put up outside our house. Called the estate agent in question who said it had been put up by mistake and that it would be taken down immediatly (yeah right on both points). After a couple of days of it being there I cut the pole into 3 lengths and dropped it and the board on the desk of the estate agents manager that I had spoken to. He did look suprised and a bit ashamed.

hilltopgeneral

06-08-2008 09:04 AM

I think "frightened" may have been the emotion.

Well done, though.

IWereAbsolutelyFuming

06-08-2008 10:45 AM

An estate agent illegally nailed one of their signs to the fairly new street sign for my street (the property they were selling was in our street, a cul-de-sac with no through access so they were obviously trying to make sure people were aware it was there). This damaged the sign and I took it down and left it in a nearby waste collection area. A sign reappeared about 3 times, further damaging the street sign and on the 3rd occasion I did much the same as Londondrz and returned it to the office. It didn't reappear after that.

davidl

06-08-2008 10:51 AM

A rare bit of praise for an agent - the place next door to us is let and managed by one. When it was last unoccupied they nailed a board to our gatepost - causing the amount of damage you'd expect.

I complained and they were slightly sheepish about the whole thing (though they did try to blame the damage in subcontractors who look after their signage needs).

Anyway, the place has recently been vacated and a new sign went up yesterday. Hey presto, they managed to do it without causing criminal damage - they used a metal band round the gatepost.

Nice to see a company actually acting on feedback.

megan

08-08-2008 04:11 PM

I have had the same problem with an agent on Brockley Rise they put 2 let by signs up about two months ago, phoned them today to ask them to take them down, they said "do you own the property? do you own the road, if the landlord lets us we can leave our boards there for as long as we want". Thinking of taking them down myself and leaving them outside there office! The guy was very charming considering they have hardly any business!

jalapeno

08-08-2008 04:46 PM

Megan, have the flats since been let? If so, I would take them down yourself. I have done this several times when the flat advertised has been let and there is no reason for their sign, other than market presence. As someone mentioned above, there is nothing more satisfying.

hopper

08-08-2008 09:09 PM

Megan - I suspect it's the same agency because they also told me the same thing. I asked the council and it's nonsense - legally the landlord is not able to give permission for it to stay up past 14 days.

The council enforcement team intervened and hey presto, the board has vanished. They were really helpful - give them a call if the agency still refuse:

Jody Solomons
Planning Enforcement Officer
0208 314 8092
Jody.Solomons@lewisham.gov.uk

davidl

12-08-2008 05:34 PM

Regarding my own post above - I spoke too soon. The wind moved the sign and it became clear the metal band was just a token - the masonry nails hammered in at different heights showed that they had learned nothing from previous feedback.

Oh well... I have sent a mail to the enforcement team, but I'm not hopeful there's anything that can be done. The estate agent whose name is on the board says it's all down to the sign company who are nothing to do with them. And the sign company don't really know me from Adam.

Perryman

12-08-2008 11:49 PM

Follow the money.

The estate agent may not be directly responsible, but they are accountable. It is their problem.

hopper

13-08-2008 09:27 AM

I couldn't agree more - the agents are absolutely responsible for the signs, even if they don't put them up themselves.

If enough people make it clear that they need to put the boards up carefully and follow the rules in taking them down 14 days after the property has been rented/sold then they will get the message. You've got to make it more trouble than it's worth for them to flout the rules!

NewForester

13-08-2008 09:42 AM

How long can they leave the "Proud sponsor of..." signs up that many Estate Agents are putting up in a bid to make it look like more properties are for sale? I believe that the agency makes a contribution to the school for each sign, but that the property concerned is not for rent / sale.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Not another estate agent Gump 14 13,034 09-09-2014 01:36 PM
Last Post: lacb