SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (4): « First [1] 2 3 4 Next > Last »
Why i moved to SE23
Honor man

24-07-2014 12:45 PM

After many years living in East Dulwich i slowly watched it turn into arguably the worst area in London. I've always loved and lived in South East London, but over the past few years i've witnessed Dulwich turn into a soiled nappy of middle class mummy drives a range rover busy bodies, who would report a mars bar wrapper dropped on the street to the local police and worse. What a dire, dreadful, loathsome place Dulwich has become. Filled with children called Rupert and Hatty.

All this on a backdrop of the fact that indoors most of these 'middle class families' are coke heads who'd sell their own granny to get one up on their middle class family neighbours.

What a dump.

Thankfully i've been saved from this living hell and the people and area in general of SE23 is SO MUCH NICER.

Better places to eat, to drinks, more green space, cheaper, and an area where if you fart in public you dont live in fear of the Dulwich housewife police having you carted off to the nick.

Thank you people of SE23 for saving my life.

It's ironic that Dulwich has become so, well...DUL(L).

Honor Oak and those within, i salute you ALL for being less moany, less whingy, less stuck up, less pretentious, less irritating and less snobbish.

SE23 rules!

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
digime

24-07-2014 03:10 PM

You're tone is a bit harsh Honor man but I used to live in ED and I now much prefer Forest Hill.

Can't agree with you on places to eat though. The standard in Forest Hill is pretty poor. Hopefully that will improve in time.

michael

24-07-2014 03:40 PM

Certainly a bit harsh on ED, which still has much to be said in it's favour (great shops and nice park in Dulwich). But SE23 is a lovely place and it is good that you are happy with where you live.

Honor Oak is particularly well provided for with restaurants and I love getting the train there from Forest Hill, because it feels like you arrive before you left! For me Honor Oak restaurants are part of Forest Hill town centre.

jaradras

24-07-2014 03:53 PM

Having lived in Forest Hill for over 30 years & worked for some of the time in East Dulwich, I do not like the changes that are happening in SE23 - in my opinion it will soon be a replica of East Dulwich, so make the most
of it !

jenros

24-07-2014 04:00 PM

I know what you mean about East Dulwich. I grew up there (many many years ago) and I really don't like it now although there are one or two eating places that have not yet been overrun by the pretentious snobs.
I have to agree with jaradras though, Forest Hill is becoming a copy of East Dulwich.

MightyMouse

24-07-2014 04:39 PM

Quote:
Honor Oak and those within, i salute you ALL for being less moany, less whingy, less stuck up, less pretentious, less irritating and less snobbish.

Wait. You've read these boards, right?

Jane_D

24-07-2014 07:55 PM

But nobody can take our away our trees, our gardens, the Horniman, the hills, the views… or (I think) our better air quality. Or our convenient station, in the middle of town rather than the edge, with the glorious London Overground.

kemamira

24-07-2014 08:56 PM

Glad you like HOP Honor man. Don't let the moany whingy b'stards here grind you down for there are a few Laugh

(I'm just trying to work out if I've *****ed in public or not)

Mira88

24-07-2014 09:08 PM

I also used to live in ED, many moons ago, and then it was very sleepy, with no central core to it (though Lordship lane always had an array of shops). On that point though, it has become a livelier place which is able to hold it's own community (no more carting off to Peckham for the real shops, which hardly exist anymore). However, areas sometime change too rapidly with certain prominent 'types' and in doing so leave others feeling they do not fit. Nobody's fault really, that's just how it goes sometimes. I know other people who have moved out of ED..basically because they were able to sell their properties and buy cheaper elsewhere. Though for many, even FH is becoming out of reach.

FH is good, but then again it depends exactly where you live. I live nearer Crofton Park side, and although HO Park road is coming up, CP has more shops and reminds me still of a local London area of not so long ago. Mixture of people and income groups with some small businesses and retailers living in the local area or nearby. I hope it stays that way, but London is a rapidly changing place..........

Perryman

24-07-2014 11:43 PM

Quote:
an area where if you ***** in public you dont live in fear of the Dulwich housewife police having you carted off to the nick.

flash?

Tinkerbell

25-07-2014 07:28 AM

Honor man - your conclusion that ED is the "worst area in London" is based on a sample size of how many London areas exactly? Two? Three? You write later on that you have "always loved and lived in SE London".

Try Totteridge, Hampstead, Highgate, Muswell Hill, Chiswick, Fulham, Clapham, Wimbledon, Richmond...and don't even get me started on the posher inner Zone 1 and 2 neighbourhoods.

Seriously, calm down, ED is not half as overrun by the Bugaboo Brigade as many other places.

Azira

25-07-2014 11:45 AM

Excellent displays of snobbery on this thread.

sydenhamcentral

25-07-2014 12:00 PM

Wow, as a parent with a pushchair (damn those kids for not being able to walk from birth!) and having owned a second hand bugaboo (brilliant for taking your kid out in the woods or countryside and cheap-ish secondhand) and not liking people dropping litter on the floor and thinking it's a bad thing, I read this thread with utter despair. I remember East Dulwich in the early 90's, do people really prefer it back then?

If parents/people who think dropping litter is a bad thing are not welcome in Forest Hill, then perhaps it will revert back to being full of empty boarded up shops and dodgy pubs.

I like a mix of stuff, cheap and cheerful and aspirational, where my hard earned money gets spent on something I really want. I don't see Forest Hill becoming a clone of East Dulwich, what does that mean?

If people don't like East Dulwich, then don't go there. I rather like it and do go there, as I do to Forest Hill, Crystal Palace etc.

OakR

25-07-2014 12:39 PM

Are you trying to say you are not a fan of the middle classes?

The good news is there are no middle class families in HOP, and none moving to the area so you'll be just fine.

With your skills in not only identifying but polling middle class families to find out so many of them are on coke, and not only that willing to sell family members, you should not waste these skills. One of the main political parties, who let's face it are all in need of fresh ideas, could surely use this information as part of future local election campaigns.

Whilst I imagine yours is in part a wind up, tongue in cheek post, glad you like the area. Criticising children's names is a bit below the belt though.

HOP does indeed have great restaurants - Babur and Querce in particular - though the latter if often full of middle class families with children named...Smile I like it. SoDo by the station (The Old Bank) and Donde further down the high street have ok food.

Green spaces, yes plenty, Blythe Hill, One Tree Hill and of course not far Dulwich Park Ohmy and Crystal Palace Park only 3 stops on the great Overground.

As an aside it's raining quite a lot!

And also we have a bugaboo - they are actually pretty good. Sydenham central, you should never worry about people criticising this sort of stuff (though I am sure the OP has done some of it in jest) - I certainly don't. I completely agree with you re litter by the way - the amount of people I see throwing stuff out of their car is amazing!

michael

25-07-2014 12:57 PM

By the way, welcome Honor man. Always good to provoke a bit of debate about the positives (and negatives) of both East Dulwich and Forest Hill - both such lovely places to live and shop.

I have to confess that I am completely middle-class and drink far too much coke, and you probably wouldn't approve of my daughter's name. I just thought you should be warned that there are some of these nasty types (like me) in Forest Hill. Laugh

Medley

25-07-2014 01:14 PM

Dear me, can we be a bit more accurate about place names please?

Honor Oak Park has the train station (and is to my mind quite distinct from Forest Hill).

Honor Oak lost its train station long ago, and is a 10+ min fast walk from Honor Oak Park.

None of these are ED though!....

michael

25-07-2014 01:37 PM

Sorry Medley I disagree with you on this one. I believe in the reunification of Honor Oak. The only division was for the two separate stations and is completely unnatural, especially when the station has gone.
I also consider that if one has an SE22 postcode, one is in East Dulwich, not Honor Oak.
But I agree that Brixton is not in South East London (sorry, wrong forum).

PVP

25-07-2014 06:36 PM

Wow, perhaps this thread will one day be seen as the point at which Honour Oak completed the cycle of gentrification. It all seems a bit East Dulwich Forum!

Mira88

25-07-2014 06:48 PM

Postal code clarification - some of Honor Oak and all of Honor Oak Park are Forest Hill Post code and therefore strictly Forest Hill. I never write Honor Oak Park for my address - does anyone? Ask the post man.

kemamira

25-07-2014 10:02 PM

I always write Honor Oak Park as my address. I live in Honor Oak Park not Forest Hill.

Honor Oak Park
London SE23
England

(not Great Britain, not United Kingdom)

Dammit, I'm being sucked into this thread and I promised myself I wouldn't Cursing

Pages (4): « First [1] 2 3 4 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields