SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (4): « First < Previous 1 [2] 3 4 Next > Last »
Why i moved to SE23
lacb

26-07-2014 05:52 AM

Agreed with Michael, Honor Oak is it's own area. Some of which, depending on who you ask, is in SE22.

Quote:
Postal code clarification - some of Honor Oak and all of Honor Oak Park are Forest Hill Post code and therefore strictly Forest Hill. I never write Honor Oak Park for my address - does anyone? Ask the post man.

Not for the first time, am compelled to point out that there is a difference between the concept of place and the name of the sorting office responsible for sending the postman out. I live in SE23 but Honor Oak. It is not Forest Hill. Even in the PAF, that line (the name of the sorting office) is optional anyway.

Some people in London seem to get very concerned about postcodes. Sorry, dear reader, if you are one of those, don't mean to cause distress. :-)

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
robin orton

26-07-2014 07:55 AM

I always write my address in the shortest possible (two-line) form: number and street, London +postcode. This is out of consideration for my correspondents who may want to reply to me. I find it very irritating when someone who writes to me (often a commercial firm) spreads their address over several lines, and I feel obliged laboriously to transcribe all of it on to a reply envelope (because I'm never sure how much of it it would be safe to omit.)

e.g.

Justin Elliott
Chairman and Chief Executive
Borchester Land
4th Floor
Lawson-Hope House
29A Lawson-Hope Road
Edgeley
Borchester
BorsetshIre
BO0 0OH

rshdunlop

26-07-2014 08:14 AM

Tsk. Justin Elliott owns Demara Venture Capital which has majority shares in Borchester Land. Annabelle Wotsherface is chair of BL.

milliemop

26-07-2014 08:27 AM

Always Honor Oak Park on my address too 😃😃

robin orton

26-07-2014 09:50 AM

Quote:
rshdunlop said:

Tsk. Justin Elliott owns Demara Venture Capital which has majority shares in Borchester Land. Annabelle Wotsherface is chair of BL

Thanks, you're quite right, as usual. I (a) realised soon after I'd posted that I'd got it wrong and (b) guessed who it would be that I'd have the pleasure of being corrected by.

Annabelle Schrivener, Google reminds me. (Where do they get these names from?)

Jane_D

26-07-2014 07:02 PM

Hours of fun still to had debating your original question, Robin.

I would say in this case:

Person's name
Company Name
House number and street name
Postcode

is plenty. Especially if correct.

wynell

27-07-2014 07:10 AM

Been in FH for coming up for 2 years very happy and appreciate the mix of people and ethnicity. Believe littering and public disorder is not acceptable and having been brought up in East London as a cockney lad in the 50's and supposedly made good. I beleive attitude to other people and being a responsible citizen has no class boundaries. Lets get back to saying hello to passers by, being courteous and realising that cleanliness and social responsibility is nothing to do with gentrification just being human.

kemamira

27-07-2014 03:17 PM

"Lets get back to saying hello to passers by, being courteous and realising that cleanliness and social responsibility is nothing to do with gentrification"

Chris88

28-07-2014 12:35 AM

OPs post made me laugh.

Dislikes the pretentious people in East Dulwich. Yet has his own sort of eliteness about him in that anyone who somewhat appears middle class is automatically ruining the area.

Honor man

28-07-2014 10:37 AM

Nope, ED is FAR worse than all those places.

I had the unfortunate experience of having to go back there over the weekend, to pick up some CD from a friend. I met him in the Bishop Pub. Whilst in there there were a gabble of mothers SINGING SONGS to their children.

Honestly, i was almost violently sick in my own mouth.

This pretty much sums up ED. What a truly bile inducing horror story this place has become.

sydenhamcentral

28-07-2014 12:26 PM

I always give my son a pint of vodka and a tab to smoke, before giving him the beating of his life before and fly tipping rubbish on the pavement to teach him some good old fashioned bad manners. It puts hair on his chest and will make more of a man.

It's despicable that woman are in a pub in the first place, especially enjoying a moment with their children in a social smoke free environment. Don't they have work to do at home? And music in a public place? The only music in a pub should be from a juke box or the sounds of people shouting at the sports on tv. Blimey, none of these kids will know the pain of a bringing up, they have it too easy these days. No wonder Honor Man is eating his own sick.

My advice is go to the Paxton in Crystal Palace HM, you never get kids or mums in there (especially at the weekend). It's a proper pub for proper people. No food, no kids, and Johnny machines in the bogs to stop them in the first place.

Perryman

28-07-2014 12:38 PM

"Lets get back to saying hello to passers by, being courteous and realising that cleanliness and social responsibility is nothing to do with gentrification"

You mean saying "G'Day" to passers by surely?

Honor man

28-07-2014 12:43 PM

Are you from ED? It sounds like it !

Honor man

28-07-2014 12:57 PM

I dont have any problem with women going to pubs! What a daft thing to say. However, i DO have an issue with children being in pubs. A pub is an adult environment and children, like dogs, should not be allowed in. If you want your 'coffee mornings' do it somewhere else please. A pub is a place for men to enjoy a peaceful pint, maybe some football and adult banter. It is not a place to sing the wheels go round.

showtunesgirl

28-07-2014 01:24 PM

Can somebody give me a T?

Honor man

28-07-2014 01:28 PM

Yes, yes, yes the wheels on the bus, you're not getting a T from me!

Would much prefer some GAK

michael

28-07-2014 01:30 PM

honor man wrote:
Honestly, i was almost violently sick in my own mouth.

I think that Honor man just needed to be burped. Crying

Hopefully the new Honor Oak Pub will reinstate 'Baba Latte' coffee mornings for mummies/daddies and their little ones. They were have a good amount of space for small children. But Chandos (and others in the area) will remain in place for the free expression of profanities and songs about returning home in an ambulance rather than a bus.
There is plenty of space for both types of pub in SE23.

Honor man

28-07-2014 01:32 PM

Can we still letch at woman with large tits? lol

daveherne

28-07-2014 01:50 PM

I feel like this conversation is going nowhere useful.

Honor man

28-07-2014 02:03 PM

Tha Chandos looks like a good old fashioned pub, any decent review?

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields