SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Are there badgers in Forest Hill?
richard robinson

08-07-2014 10:38 AM

I got a glimpse view of what looked like a badger's bottom on Manor Mount last night. Thoughts?

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
MrMike

08-07-2014 04:49 PM

Ghost badger? Scared

rshdunlop

08-07-2014 05:11 PM

You might be more likely to see one in Brockley. BROCKly. Geddit?

davidwhiting

09-07-2014 02:35 PM

If you do see a badger in London, I would suggest that you don't reveal its whereabouts, as badgers can be used in illegal dog fights and the like.

Years ago, when I chaired the Lewisham Council Public Protection Committee, I was told by animal welfare that there were badgers in Lewisham. I asked not to be told where, as what you don't know, you cannot blurt out by accident.

Les

09-07-2014 04:52 PM

I've never seen one around, but then I've never seen a live tuna either, so they might still exist...

Seems unlikely given the density of people, dogs and cars, but not impossible.

rymerster

09-07-2014 08:37 PM

It was more likely to be a glimpse of a fox, there are quite a lot of them around Manor Mount and a couple I've seen are more grey and white (especially near the tail) not the red as you'd expect.

Triangle

11-07-2014 02:41 PM

I suspect they are in Forest Hill, but in areas where the public would not normally be after dark – so they can forage without being disturbed - and I think there’s a few areas in FH that would suit them just fine.

I now live in Kent and on returning home last year in the small hours, was alarmed to hear noises at the side of my house – I could hear movement in the undergrowth and the sound of heavy things being pushed around.

Fearing the worst, I went indoors and grabbed a torch which I keep handy for power cuts (not unusual) and went to the window which looks out over the side of the house.

Leaving the room light off, I quickly pulled back the curtains, switched on the torch and shone it at where all the noise was coming from… and was shocked (and relieved) to see an enormous badgers head peering back at me.

Until then, I had only ever caught an occasional glimpse of the backside of one disappearing into a hedgerow down a country lane. But after my close encounter I can confirm that they are a big animal – and when next morning I saw the mess it had made of my side border, evidently a powerful animal too. It had flattened the shrubs, moved aside rocks and dug a pretty large hole.

However, despite the damage, I feel very privileged to have seen such a shy creature so close.

No Longer Registered

13-07-2014 07:57 PM

Spotted a dead one on the A21 on Bromley Common yesterday. That can only be about 6 miles away.

Londondrz

14-07-2014 09:50 AM

Spotted a few in the beer isle in Sainsburys. The Tanglefoot was superb!

Laugh

richard robinson

14-07-2014 08:05 PM

Well it wasn't a fox as it didn't have a tail, but it could have been a massive cat (without a tail).

Based on the replies so far, I'm more convinced than I was that it was a badger.

Great!

andrew-lynch

18-07-2014 10:33 AM

Hello Richard,

I was fascinated and very happy to hear about your badger sighting. I live near Camberwell New Cemetery and I am in the final year of my MSc in Environmental Management (Countryside Management / Protected Area Management) at Birkbeck, University of London. For my dissertation I am researching the range / former range of Badgers in the Great North Wood and identifying reasons for their success / decline.

Could you PM me with more information about your sighting, the time and date, where you saw the badger and what direction it came from, went to, and if it went under a fence etc.

I have been surveying the New Cross to Forest Hill rail sides and Sydenham Hill Woods with permission from London Wildlife Trust. I am aware that badgers are vulnerable to human disturbance and prejudice and am willing to be 'creative' with any sensitive information on the current location of setts.

Best,
Andrew Lynch

P.S. Here's my research statement:

I am researching the range / former range of Badgers (Meles meles) in the Great North Wood and identifying reasons for their success / decline. The Great North Wood was a natural oak forest that covered most of the area from Camberwell to Croydon in South East London. The history of the woods is reflected in local place names such as Norwood, Woodside and Forest Hill. Today, some isolated patches of the forest remain, such as Dulwich Upper Wood, Dulwich Woods, Sydenham Hill Woods and Beaulieu Heights in South Norwood. The Great North Wood was once a working woodland and would have supported a large population of badgers. Again, this is reflected in local names such as Brockley and Brockwell - Brocc being the old English name for badger.

Storyteller

21-07-2014 02:33 PM

I know there is a badger set in Bromley. The young may have spread this far, but I think it unlikely as they are a social animal, and stick to an area. Also their main food source is earth worms, and i suspect the evidence would be pretty obvious, and word would have got out.
If you are lucky enough to have some near by. Then they are quite partial to peanuts. It may take a while for them to trust your garden but worth the effort. Make sure you put them well away from the house and once the are visiting regularly you can gradually move them closer.
happy badger watching.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields