SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Work started on the Honor Oak pub
Nick M

04-09-2014 08:21 PM

Regarding acoustics in pubs, I haven't been to the Honor Oak but I think this is a deliberate design feature and would not been seen as a 'problem' by the interior designers, rather a virtue. If you strip out all soft furnishings and carpets as well as intervening walls for the design effect of a big bare 'trendy' space, you also get one big soundbox where everything is amplified - that's how acoustic musical instruments work after all. This isn't a drawback if you are a pub designer - the ensuing hubbub and raucous din is deemed to be sympomatic of a lively, 'happening' place, it is supposed to create the feeling that it is a venue alive with happy chatter and laughter, and an essential place to be. Most of the pubs in East Dulwich have the same effect and the Rose would also have the same racket in Forest Hill Rd if it had more clientele. London is full of such pubs. Noise is meant to equate with liveliness. I'm a bit mutton in one ear so it does nothing for me. The Blythe Hill Tavern down the road from the Honor Oak (well quite a long way down the road) is fully furnished and still has walls in it, and has the authentic sound of a cosy pub filled with chatter and banter yet you can still enjoy it and have a conversation yourself. It's authentic and true to itself and a comfortable environment to be in.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Messages In This Topic
RE: Work started on the Honor Oak pub - Nick M - 04-09-2014 08:21 PM

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Honor Oak resident nominated for award for community work admin 0 3,568 03-05-2013 12:55 PM
Last Post: admin
  Louise House - work started Almaviva 2 5,364 13-01-2011 12:03 PM
Last Post: Almaviva
  Work next to Honor Oak Park Station BarCar 15 18,963 06-04-2010 11:50 AM
Last Post: davidl