SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Warning lights for pedestrians
baggydave

07-12-2008 07:04 PM

BD has posted many a time about pedestrians crossing the road in front of his bike without looking, seems to be getting far worse. He reckons that about one in five are crossing the road whilst more interested in chatting on their phones.

But as a pedestrian he is also getting fed up with it. 'Oh I will just stop as I check my phone for messages or my Blackberry for e-mails' as I run into the back of them. So what he suggests is compulsory brake lights and indicators for pedestrians so you would know what they are up to and avoid crashing into the back of them. And of course you would need the Highway code to have stopping distances so that you would not walk to closely behind. And coming to think of it a pedestrianising test before you could go out on the pavement, learner plates for those who have not passed the test, a green learner badge for those who have recently passed and a new Pedestrian Traffic Act, with offences such as undue care and attention for pedestrianising, pedestrianising under the influence, dangerous pedestrianising. They could also introduce a MOT equivalent, and the need for for a rear view mirror.

Good to have some support for this before I lobby government. Sure they would love some diversion from the present financial turmoil.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
brian

07-12-2008 07:34 PM

Well said Baggy D.
Many a time I would have walked right into some one checking their mobile if I had not been the one to take avasive action.

Surely using a mobile when crossing the Queen's Highway , should also be illegal.

ambient
No longer registered

09-12-2008 05:28 PM

Not to mention the need for a new Pavement Tax, enforced by the compulsory squashing of any person not able to present their tax disc on demand!

Londondrz

10-12-2008 09:41 AM

A plea for pedestrians, car haters or not. Not a lot of people know that a pedestrian has the right of way at a junction where a car needs to turn left into the road a pedestrian is crossing. I know that and as a result slow down when turning left to look for, and if needs be, give way to pedestrians. Now, in the imortal words of Sir Michael "not a lot of people know that".

As a pedestrian it is also your duty to make sure that you are aware of your surroundings.

Lying under a van that has run you over "because it was your right of way" is not going to help you.

As I have said on this forum before, cars and other vehicles are a fact of life. Let us all step back, look at how we all interact and just be careful out there.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields