SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (12): « First < Previous 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 Next > Last »
The Capitol to close
shzl400

14-07-2014 08:10 PM

Now that would be good news about the Harvester! I do like a Wetherspoons - you know what you're getting and the price is right.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
robwinton

16-07-2014 11:10 AM

I don't think anyone else mentioned it, but just to add weight to the "something is happening even if we do not know what" argument, there was a surveyor doing some very detailed drawings and measurements of The Capitol a couple of weeks ago. He was stationed in front of C&C with the surveyor's level and detailed plans for the building and the pavement in front of it.

There was no indication who this was being done for but it would have been a substantial investment for someone!

rbmartin

16-07-2014 12:13 PM

According to posts on Virtual Norwood and the EDF, it appears the new tenants of the Capitol are KICC, a Pentecostal church.

They already own a former cinema in Crystal Palace which is used as a church.

digime

16-07-2014 12:29 PM

Nooooooooooooooo.

Can't we have a Morrisons instead?

edpaff

16-07-2014 12:39 PM

Quote:
Nooooooooooooooo.

I wish one could 'like' comments on here!

This post was last modified: 16-07-2014 12:43 PM by edpaff.

IWereAbsolutelyFuming

16-07-2014 12:42 PM

If KICC do have the lease and want to use it as a Church they'll need planning permission for change of use so we would at least see something pop up on the planning portal if that is the case.

michael

16-07-2014 12:49 PM

IF there is any truth in this latest rumour then, although KICC would need planning permission, they have demonstrated in Crystal Palace that they don't really care and will start using it as soon as possible.

BringOutTheCranston

16-07-2014 12:56 PM

But the church won't be selling alcohol or having lorries making deliveries. And as there is already a selection of pubs and no pentacostal churches in the area already they will be bringing something new to the area.

So no cause for complaints then.

Tinkerbell

16-07-2014 12:59 PM

Great. I look forward to late night and early morning screenings of "The Exorcist" and "Life of Brian" at the new Capitol then. Wow

BringOutTheCranston

16-07-2014 01:01 PM

And in response to my own facetious comment...

This would be a real disaster for the area and change of use should be jumped on at the first possible opportunity.

It makes the Morrisons proposal seem positively attractive.

edpaff

16-07-2014 01:15 PM

If Crystal Palace have convinced KICC to move on to Forest Hill, maybe we could convince them to move on to East Dulwich - we could do a swap, their proposed cinema in an old church for our proposed church in an old cinema?

Wishful thinking perhaps.

michael

16-07-2014 02:16 PM

I think the poster on Virtual Norwood was misquoting or misunderstood what the Crystal Palace councillor was saying.
We need to Keep Calm and hope to show some Carry On films.

Hillstop

16-07-2014 05:51 PM

Pity the new residential dwellings they're constructing right next to the Capitol. Bet those houses will be difficult to shift if that goes ahead given the noise and crowds a KICC church would attract.

Really, really hope this doesn't go ahead.

Rayray

16-07-2014 08:16 PM

Was quite glad by the news that the Capitol was to become a cinema. Completely makes sense to me, and I would have definitely used it. The Capitol never appealed to me. I stepped in a couple of times and was really put off by the big open, dingy space.

However, this church thing sounds awful. So bad I'm unable to believe it's actually happening. Are we really sure this is legitimate?

Loncdl

16-07-2014 08:20 PM

This would be catastrophic. Big turnout for a petition opposing the church if it turns out to be true. All in favour of a cinema.

rbmartin

16-07-2014 09:22 PM

Wikipedia has a brief rundown of KICC's illegal activities at their Crystal Palace church.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingsway_In...ian_Centre

Chris88

17-07-2014 10:23 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Nooooooooooooooo.

I wish one could 'like' comments on here!

Having just read the other thread, this is one of the funniest / best posts I've seen on here in a while! [/quote]

nottinghillbilly

17-07-2014 09:35 PM

I have a friend who does some business near the Crystal Palace "Church" and they point out KICC are careful about how they announce the events. IIRC the posters said things about concerts rather than religious meetings. I am happy to be wrong here.

Having lived near a community evangelical church before I found the parking, noise and rubbish a real problem. I didn't receive the most "Christian" welcome when I asked people to move their cars after boxing me in again and again and parking on double yellow lines........

Why dont we move Whetherspoons into M&Co, M&Co megastore to open in the Capitol? Then cover Havelock Walk and show films in there!!

Londondrz

18-07-2014 08:26 AM

When the church on St David's was in full sing the church attendies thought nothing of driving the wrong way up St David's. When the error of their ways was politely pointed out the message I received back was less than Godly. This happened a good few times.

rshdunlop

18-07-2014 08:40 AM

I went to see The Crucible the other night at the Old Vic (it was amazing, btw). Rumours run amok on these forums faster than cries of witchcraft in Salem.

This rumour about KICC started with someone on another forum possibly misquoting something he (or she) heard from a CP councillor. Not even an FH councillor, mind you. And now everyone is panicking. There is NO evidence this is happening. The building is privately owned and it is the lease that is up for grabs, not ownership of the building. Given that KICC have a rep for doing things they are not supposed to do, I think the building owner would be very wary of giving them the lease. Especially with the listed status.

In any case, I would be delighted if the next person to post on this thread did so with some FACTS from a confirmed source. Otherwise you're all fretting over hearsay and gossip. Save your energy.

Pages (12): « First < Previous 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields