SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (12): « First < Previous 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 Next > Last »
The Capitol to close
Chipcity

03-07-2014 03:54 PM

The Land Registry registered proprietor of the freehold is "Exempt Property Unit Trustees Limited" and a quick search of the internet does not reveal any apparent connection to a cinema chain. However, it is probably an investment vehicle and accordingly, not particularly definitive either way.

The Wetherspoon lease was granted for 25 years from 29 September 2000 and may have original contained a right for either party to determine early or the variation in 2009 may have incorporated a early termination provision.

Also, the Companies House registered address for Exempt Property Unit Trustees Limited and Cineworld Limited are not the same.

A cinema would be great and given the lack of such facilities in Lewisham, it should make commercial sense.

This post was last modified: 03-07-2014 04:01 PM by Chipcity.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Storyteller

03-07-2014 05:28 PM

Coo. I'm impressed.
As much as I'll miss the cheap watering hole. It did lack in the atmosphere department.
A cinema would be good, and I think people are starting to go back to them again as the old goggle box has become a bit jaded. unless you pay for movies etc. in witch case we might just as well go and enjoy them on a really big screen as and when we want to rather than paying for stuff we don't want

PVP

04-07-2014 08:08 AM

An Exempt Property Unit Trust is a tax-efficient special investment structure for purchasing commercial property so it does not really mean anything. Normally they are used when combining someone's pension fund with other capital.

Chipcity

04-07-2014 08:57 AM

Agreed although I was pointing out that it is unlikely that the owner is itself a cinema chain (as has been suggested) but that this does not mean that they are not seeking to let to a cinema.......which would be great.

This post was last modified: 04-07-2014 08:59 AM by Chipcity.

CrustyRack

04-07-2014 10:54 AM

I think they ought to sell it to Tesco. Sainsbury need some competition.
Talking of Tesco, on the small ex pet shop, next to Sugar Mountain, on Dartmouth Road has a sign painted on the rolldown shutters 'This is not a Tesco Express' Have they applied for planning permission there?

Red67

04-07-2014 11:03 AM

Um, maybe a bit of an ironic joke re Tesco Express. I think you'll find it's another cafe about to open..... https://www.facebook.com/TheArchieParker...n=timeline

CrustyRack

04-07-2014 11:10 AM

I find it amazing that it has reviews and it is not even open yet...Shame, A Tesco Express would have been good. We do not need any more cafes or restaurants.

BillieJameson

04-07-2014 11:29 AM

Why do we need another Tesco Express? There's one near the Horniman. there's a Co-op down the road and there seems to be a little supermarket in the development behind the station. I'm not holding my breath for a cinema.

CrustyRack

04-07-2014 11:38 AM

A Tesco Express would be very useful near the swimming pool. The one near Hornimans would take a good 20-25 minutes to walk from round that area. A lot longer for the elderly and disabled. Not everyone drives, and it is better for the environment if people can walk to the local store.

michael

04-07-2014 04:02 PM

There is a Tesco Express at the other end of Dartmouth Road, about 5-8 minutes from the swimming pool and also close to Costcutter. I think another Tesco Express in Forest Hill town centre would be a bit much.

rymerster

04-07-2014 05:26 PM

Tried to do a bit of digging online and the only conclusion I can come to considering the amount of times that old ABC properties changed hands between the 1970s and now, is that the building may be owned by Cineworld or Odeon Cinemas; Cineworld most likely.

The company is in an expansion phase with a number of new cinemas around the country scheduled to open between now and the end of 2015.

Personally I'd welcome a new cinema to the area, and the public transport links make it a good location.

Anotherjohn

05-07-2014 07:54 AM

Hey, CrustyCrack (you can get some ointment for that from Boots).

The shop at 55a isn't gonna be a Tesco Express - it's soon to be opening as a coffee/sandwich/cake shop.

Back onto the main topic though, it occurs to me that Weatherspoons' closing offers the potential to increase footfall away from that one huge location and to create opportunity for many of Forest Hill's other bars & eateries to CAPITOLise.

BringOutTheCranston

05-07-2014 10:26 AM

Quote:
We do not need any more cafes or restaurants.

Isn't that for the customers to decide?

This post was last modified: 05-07-2014 10:26 AM by BringOutTheCranston.

CrustyRack

06-07-2014 06:41 PM

I think the customers have decided. The restaurants on Dartmouth Road are empty of an evening.

Anotherjohn

06-07-2014 08:46 PM

Quote:
A Tesco Express would be very useful near the swimming pool

Some years ago Tesco moved out of the shop where Paddy Power now is.

rbmartin

06-07-2014 09:17 PM

Considering Sainsburys is open 'til 10pm on London Road, it isn't that necessary to have another chain convenience store.

Those who live at the Sydenham end of Dartmouth Road can visit Tesco Express in Kirkdale as Michael mentioned earlier, plus FH already has an Express at the petrol station next to Horminans.

Gaz

07-07-2014 06:07 PM

Quote:
The plans for the Dulwich Picturehouse show what is a small cinema with three screens, two of which are very small. There would seem to be scope for a larger Picturehouse on the Capitol site and the upper floor foyer would make a great bar/cafe. However, I doubt that this would be probable especially as the Picturehouse group was sold to the Cineworld chain.

I understood that the upper floor foyer and its fixtures and fittings were protected, hence Wetherspoons was not able to utilise this space as a separate restaurant area.

If it were to become a (one-screen) cinema again, I'm not too sure it would be able to complete against the multi-screens.

Perhaps, Wetherspoons will be interested in taking the Windmill back over though..?! Cool

rbmartin

07-07-2014 06:23 PM

Quote:
If it were to become a (one-screen) cinema again, I'm not too sure it would be able to complete against the multi-screens.

If the films are unashamedly mainstream, they might have a chance.

However I went to the Peckham Plex, which charges £4.99 for all screenings and arguably the cheapest multiplex in London and yet there were only 15 people in a 200 seater screen for Mrs Browns Boys D'Movie.

Don't judge my choice of movie choice! Laugh

rshdunlop

07-07-2014 06:32 PM

The Odeon in Beckenham is listed in a similar way but they have managed to make a six-screen cinema. Some of the original features are covered over, but many remain on view. The main screen is effectively the old upper circle and smaller screen are in the old ballroom and other function rooms.

gbrownings

07-07-2014 10:20 PM

Only rumour, but someone who works at one of the stores at the Bell Green retail park told me they understood the next arrivals (after the giant McDonalds) will be a Frankie and Bennys restaurant and......a cinema complex.

A serious commercial rival for anyone considering taking over the Capitol?

This post was last modified: 07-07-2014 10:21 PM by gbrownings.

Pages (12): « First < Previous 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields