SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (12): « First < Previous 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 Next > Last »
The Capitol to close
rshdunlop

25-06-2014 03:01 PM

Somebody HAS to post a picture of that web before the place closes.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
clausy

25-06-2014 04:34 PM

Pizza Express? Surely we need a Nandos Thumbup and to be honest I'm not sure if I'm being serious or not. The cinema would definitely be fab though - I'd love it if that would happen. India Gate curry and a movie. Top lazy Friday night out, walk home. Win.

This post was last modified: 25-06-2014 04:35 PM by clausy.

Mr_Numbers

25-06-2014 05:04 PM

I've lost track of the number of kids' birthday parties that we've had or our daughter has been to in Beckenham or the O2.

Telling other parents that you're taking the kids to PX (or Nandos, or Zizzi, or Strada, or Frankie & Bennie's) will always get the thumbs up whereas saying you're taking them to one of SE23's excellent pubs before the cinema doesn't always go down quite so well especially if the parents aren't from the SE23 area.

Besides - if PX is good enough for Dulwich Village it's good enough for SE23, no? I think their planning permission bars them from doing take-aways which at least reduces the street litter.

And there's not even the threat of Dominos-style motorbikes.

Meanwhile, back at the cinema,...

rshdunlop

25-06-2014 05:29 PM

PX does do takeaway, but not delivery.

Mr_Numbers

25-06-2014 05:35 PM

At Dulwich Village? It used to be they weren't allowed to. I remember going to Crystal Palace for a regular PX 'fix' because SE21 frowned on such plebeian pizza. And I don't ever remember seeing people coming and going through the tightly-packed crowd of diners, carrying takeaway boxes.

This post was last modified: 25-06-2014 05:36 PM by Mr_Numbers.

rshdunlop

25-06-2014 06:14 PM

I've had takeout from the Dulwich PX, although it was many moons ago. We get it from Beckenham now, which is closer for us on the Sydengam side of SE23.

Theotherbrian

25-06-2014 08:01 PM

The plans for the Dulwich Picturehouse show what is a small cinema with three screens, two of which are very small. There would seem to be scope for a larger Picturehouse on the Capitol site and the upper floor foyer would make a great bar/cafe. However, I doubt that this would be probable especially as the Picturehouse group was sold to the Cineworld chain.

lacb

26-06-2014 09:17 AM

Quote:
I doubt that this would be probable especially as the Picturehouse group was sold to the Cineworld chain.

Don't understand the thinking on this as I imagine this means more capital available for such projects and they still seem keen on expansion. Can you expand on this a little?

This post was last modified: 26-06-2014 09:17 AM by lacb.

Loncdl

26-06-2014 08:30 PM

Can someone clarify: I think it would absolutely wonderful if the Capitol was turned into a cinema. However, having read all the way down the chain I'm none the wiser - is this actually happening or are we all just speculating what might happen because the pub is closing!?

malcolmchurch

26-06-2014 10:18 PM

The Capitol staff were told last weekend that that the pub was closing and they were also told that it would become a cinema.
I am the original poster and I would agree that the transition to a cinema is still not definite but it does seem the most likely outcome.

clausy

27-06-2014 10:56 AM

Which reminds me of the famous quote "Don't believe everything you read on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln

rbmartin

27-06-2014 11:25 AM

Quote:
However, I doubt that this would be probable especially as the Picturehouse group was sold to the Cineworld chain.

I understand the Picturehouse team have been kept on, so is being run as a subsidiary of Cineworld, rather than as part of the main business.

However, it's Cineworld which has allowed Picturehouse to expand.

It's similar to how Innocent has continued to be operated despite being owned by Coca Cola by keeping the same management team and head office.

manor mountie

28-06-2014 02:53 PM

Wow I am really surprised, every time I go in to the capitol there seems to be plenty of punters supping away. Is Mr bean still doing his tours of the building, I always meant to go one and never did. A cinema would be a nice addition but I would hate it if it became something private as I think the interior of the building is great and I am not sure how protected it is by it's listed status.

Lilac34

28-06-2014 08:07 PM

I have never liked The Capitol as a pub - far too large inside and lacking in atmosphere. I can understand why it is popular though- cheap drinks and value for money food. However, I would definitely go to the cinema there!
It's a lovely art deco building & it would be good to see it reverting to its original use.

robbrockley

28-06-2014 11:35 PM

I agree Lilac - terrible pub and not at all inviting. Looks dirty and food maybe cheap but there is a reason for that as far as I can see. It's too big a pub for Forest Hill.

Cinema would be good - a lot closer than Greenwich or Clapham. I don't really mind if they preserve the features or not - just make it a good experience. A general tidy up of the front would be good though.

rbmartin

29-06-2014 01:05 AM

Considering the new 'welcome' sign they've put up inside the main entrance which include searches by security staff and anyone caught with drugs will be permanently barred, the sooner it reverts to cinema use, the better.

Storyteller

03-07-2014 09:28 AM

I have spoken to someone who really does know what's happening with the Capitol.
It seems the owners of the property (a cinema company) have decided not to renew the lease for Wetherspoons, and are letting be turned back into a cinema again.
So do us die hard wetherspoon fans I can only recommend "The Moon and Stars" Penge as a pleasant watering hole.

rshdunlop

03-07-2014 02:12 PM

'Letting it be turned back into a cinema'. What does this mean? That the property owners will run it as a cinema or that they are looking for someone to run it as a cinema?

rbmartin

03-07-2014 02:23 PM

Interesting, I wonder if the owners of then Capitol cinema maintained the lease which then had the bingo company as tenants and then Wetherspoon?

Considering the fact it hasn't been a cinema for over 30 years, they may consider selling the lease onto a rival and Cineworld's Picturehouse is likely to be a buyer.

Storyteller

03-07-2014 02:26 PM

My assumption would be that the owners are the ones who will be running it as a cinema but obviously i do not know who the proverbia "they" are. We wait with bated breath.

Pages (12): « First < Previous 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields