SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (12): « First < Previous 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 Next > Last »
The Capitol to close
Baboonery

24-06-2014 09:51 AM

We'll see if anything comes of this. I think the loss of a large pub and the acquisition of a white elephant would be a seriously negative move for the area.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
rshdunlop

24-06-2014 09:55 AM

I think a cinema would work fine. We often use public transport when we want to go the cinema, it's no big deal. And a cinema in FH would be in walking distance for many people. The demographic in FH has changed dramatically over the last few years, more DINKYS (dual income, no kids yet) and professional couples with small children. All would welcome a nice local cinema.

I can see it being similar to the Odeon in Beckenham, which they have managed to update very successfully despite its listed status. We like to go there on a Saturday night and have a meal before the movie. We often go with the kids too. Something like that in FH could bring more evening trade to our restaurants and pubs.

The listed status probably means it can't be sold to a property developer, which is good news.

This post was last modified: 24-06-2014 09:58 AM by rshdunlop.

michael

24-06-2014 10:17 AM

6 major bus routes, trains every 5 minutes, car park across the road (behind Sainsbury's). A large venue for cinema and cafe. I think it has great potential.

If a cinema chain was interested in opening the first cinema in Lewisham - this would be a great location, even if it is close to the proposed cinema in East Dulwich (but no closer than Brixton to Clapham).

The work necessary to convert the listed cinema building into a multi-screen cinema would be complicated, but I'm sure this has been done with other cinemas in the past, so there will be reasonable precedence to follow.

But the question is whether Weatherspoons is really interested in leaving Forest Hill (or moving to a smaller pub like the Bird in Hand or Windmill - both of which they have managed previously), and whether a cinema chain would be willing to invest in Forest Hill. It would be a massive vote of confidence in Forest Hill if a cinema was to open.

rshdunlop

24-06-2014 10:30 AM

The trains are an important ingredient - my teens often use the Overground to go to the cinema in Surrey Quays. It's quick and frequent.

As I said above, there is a model for converted a listed cinema into a modern multi-screen venue - the Odeon in Beckenham is listed and has managed to upgrade all the screens and seating and even put in air conditioning while respecting the listed status.

malcolmchurch

24-06-2014 10:38 AM

I am afraid that the pub is definitely closing. Although reasonably busy, rent is very high and other overheads such as bouncers at the weekend all eat into the profits. It becoming a cinema is not so definite but that is what the staff have been told.

A very close friend of mine, Pat Cooney, could always be seen at the front table wearing his flat cap from 9am every morning. Pat always had a laugh and joke with everybody and the staff loved him.

Sadly Pat passed away very recently, still awaiting funeral arrangements, but this news would have been a terrible blow to him.

edpaff

24-06-2014 11:39 AM

While I am unfortunately sceptical that it will end up as a cinema (considering the newly approved Lordship Lane one), I think it would be an amazing boost for FH. Daytime parking may be tricky, but with strong public transport links, and free car parking in the Perry Vale and Sainsbury's car parks after 6.30pm, it could work!

Fingers crossed the listed building status would protect the whole building, otherwise could end up with a preserved facade and lots of flats behind.

No Longer Registered

24-06-2014 12:52 PM

Whilst I am grateful to Wetherspoons for giving the Capitol life when the alternative was demolition I have never enjoyed it as a place to meet friends and have a drink.

Some building conversions work really well. This is not one of them.

No criticism of the staff is intended, they were always friendly, it is just that the place has the feel of a large wedding marquee towards the end of the evening celebration with chairs, tables and people spread out in a disconnected and slightly wrecked way.

I always came away feeling like the party was long over.

michael

24-06-2014 01:49 PM

Quote:
the place has the feel of a large wedding marquee towards the end of the evening celebration with chairs, tables and people spread out in a disconnected and slightly wrecked way.

I always came away feeling like the party was long over.

What a good description of the atmosphere.

MightyMouse

24-06-2014 06:33 PM

Flats would be lovely, thanks. Particularly part buy, part rent ones. London doesn't, as far as I'm aware, suffer from a shortage of cinemas. A shortage of affordable housing, on the other hand...

I know. That's as unlikely as it being turned into a cinema, though a girl can dream. I expect, this being Forest Hill, it'll be another cafe.

malcolmchurch

24-06-2014 07:15 PM

youtube video of the capitol, showing Pat Cooney (RIP) in his flat cap neat thebar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pSDytRI...video_user

Theotherbrian

24-06-2014 07:25 PM

Message to Cheeky. I use the Greenwich Picture House every Monday and there is ample parking in the large car park adjacent to the cinema and in the streets nearby. Parking is free after 17.00 in the streets and after 18.30 in the car park.

rbmartin

24-06-2014 10:34 PM

Picturehouse will be the ideal group for The Capitol cinema. (I hope they call it the Capitol Forest Hill Picturehouse)

Considering they're opening a cinema in East Dulwich later this year, it'll give this area which has been without a decent cinema for years a choice of seeing films either here or a 10 min bus ride on the 176/185 down to their sister cinema.

There are still other good pubs in the town centre, although it's a shame it'll be the last old man style pub in FH.

I really hope Odeon don't get the mits on the site, they're expensive for what is a basic cinema experience.

Cheeky

25-06-2014 08:09 AM

Thanks Theotherbrian, every Monday? You Movie Hound. Yeah, we always park down a road nearby whenever we go.

fleurie

25-06-2014 09:40 AM

I would like Picturehouse too, but I don't see why they would want to open two new sites within ten minutes of each other. Just seems odd. Also, I don't like walking past the Capitol late on a Friday night, but I do think it is a shame to lose a reasonably priced pub.

fleurie

25-06-2014 09:41 AM

Sorry, had missed that it is no longer viable. Shame

rbmartin

25-06-2014 09:48 AM

Quote:
I would like Picturehouse too, but I don't see why they would want to open two new sites within ten minutes of each other. Just seems odd. Also, I don't like walking past the Capitol late on a Friday night, but I do think it is a shame to lose a reasonably priced pub.

Picturehouse own a cinema in Clapham and the Ritzy in Brixton which are able to co-exist despite being reasonably close.

Having two close cinemas allow the group to show different movies.

If the Capitol closes as a pub, they still have other pubs in the chain which are a bus ride away.

fleurie

25-06-2014 10:19 AM

Fingers crossed then!

Saskia

25-06-2014 11:28 AM

I am really excited about the prospect of a cinema and think it will be incredibly well used. It's the perfect place for a cinema and with its beautiful facade it will be a really great asset for FH and the surrounding areas. I can't see any issues with its location as someone else suggested. As others have said in response there is parking close by and also really good transport links. Can't wait for more news on this and what the detailed plans are. Really hope this happens.

lacb

25-06-2014 12:42 PM

Agreed though can scarcely dare hope this will actually happen. Wetherspoons certainly have a place, and deserve credit for putting the building to some use, but this is far from just a facade - it is a beautiful, purpose designed, art deco cinema building and if the interior details can be preserved then would be draw for film lovers across London.

Mr_Numbers

25-06-2014 02:49 PM

I think it would be great to have this revert back to a cinema.

But the area would need a nearby Pizza Express (or similar) to go with it - that then caters (no pun intended) for the birthday party crowd: pizza then a movie (or vice versa).

Question is, will they have to serve an eviction notice on the spider that owns the web? http://www.se23.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=8696 Will they dare?

Pages (12): « First < Previous 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields