SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (12): « First < Previous 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 Next > Last »
The Capitol to close
robbrockley

28-10-2014 11:09 PM

I also agree baboonery. I have never quite got the significance of Lewisham not having a cinema and why that must be rectified - and if so why that has anything to do with the council. I am perfectly happy to go to the cinema in Southwark, Greenwich, Bromley or Kent. Or anywhere else that is convenient in London.

Yes it would be 'nice' to have one in Forest Hill but it isn't exactly a must have and we have lived for years without one. It will be a shame if the Capitol closes and is left again as a large (ugly, in my opinion) white elephant for a long time. But it just may not be a suitable site for a modern cinema.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Cllr Paul Upex

29-10-2014 10:06 AM

I just wanted to give you an update with regards to an issue that had been raised earlier

I contacted the head of planning in Lewisham in response to an earlier post suggesting that discussions with English Heritage and Lewisham planning led to cinema chain pulling out of a deal. He has confirmed that the Planning Service has not been contacted by Picturehouse or anyone else interested in cinema use and that English Heritage also advise that they have not been approached.

PVP

29-10-2014 10:33 AM

The plot thickens...

Whereas other areas of London managed to hold on to their architectural gems in the 80's and 90's which however run down, were resuscitated and became much loved and used. In Lewisham, these buildings were either knocked them down or they got converted to churches, carpet warehouses, etc. I think it is fair to say cinema going habits have altered in the last 10/15 years and we really should have one closer to home.

AMFM

29-10-2014 10:58 AM

Huge numbers of cinemas closed across the country (and beyond) in the 80s and early 90s because people stopped going to the cinema so much - advent of videos and so on.

For whatever reason (and I have no idea what the reason is) cinema going habits have swung back again in the last 10/15 years. Yes, a cinema in Forest Hill is a "nice to have" rather than an essential and perhaps the Capitol is not the right venue but I think White Elephant is a little wide of the mark if you mean that ANY cinema in Forest Hill would quickly become one.

rshdunlop

29-10-2014 11:31 AM

Let's take a step back here. Is ANYTHING in the original post confirmed by an official source? Do we even know that Weatherspoons are actually leaving the Capitol?

malcolmchurch

29-10-2014 03:10 PM

Dear RSHDUNLOP

I am the original poster.

This post started after The Capitol manager informed the staff that the pub was going to close and become a cinema.

As previously posted, negotiations have stalled due to problems with English Heritage and Lewisham Council.

As they are unable to sell their lease, Wetherspoons are keeping The Capitol open for the foreseeable future but it depends what other offers they may get for the lease.

Wetherspoons will not confirm any of this officially but my source is very reliable.

rshdunlop

29-10-2014 03:55 PM

So in summary, the Capitol isn't closing and there are no cinema operators interested. So we can probably stop discussing it now.

Iain

29-10-2014 05:20 PM

Excellent idea. Anyone fancy a pint?

rshdunlop

29-10-2014 06:41 PM

Although I would like MalcolmChurch's response to our local councillor's post stating that neither Lewisham Planning nor English Heritage were involved in any negotiations at any level with a cinema operator with regard to the Capitol. His last post contradicts this.

rbmartin

29-10-2014 06:43 PM

Like most people on here, I'd take Malcolm's posts with a pinch of salt.

PVP

30-10-2014 10:29 AM

Example of hearsay - was in the Catford Constitutional a couple of says ago talking about the old CBT, was told Camden Bars (who I believe now have possession of the lease) were owned or a front for Tesco so they could finally open a supermarket there. This rumour was started by the old management when they went to the Constitutional and of course is total c**p.

michael

30-10-2014 11:26 AM

I think MalcolmChurch posted in good faith and I've certainly seen evidence of people measuring up the building for possible uses. I think it is very likely that somebody was looking at alternative uses for the building.

Councillor Upex's message from the head of planning is very clear and I know that the head of planning checked both with his department and with English Heritage to ask if any discussions had taken place - and none had.

So IF a cinema chain was interested in taking over the Capitol, I can only conclude that they are either progressing very slowly and cautiously, or their internal architects have told them that they have no chance of such a conversion being acceptable (before approaching EH or Lewisham), or that with the new cinema in East Dulwich the commercial realities have changed in the last year.

I haven't completely given up hope of a cinema, but I'm pleased that Weatherspoons are staying and not leaving us with a massive empty unit on the high street (as happened when the bingo hall closed).

But perhaps we aren't being ambitious enough in our thinking. Perhaps this should be a new music venue, like the Brixton Academy, or a local theatre and occasional film venue (like the Deptford Albany).

rbmartin

30-10-2014 02:19 PM

A cinema would have been great, but considering East Dulwich Picturehouse will be a short bus ride away and Peckham Plex and the Surrey Quays Odeon are a reasonable distance away by only using one form of public transport, I can live with Wetherspoons staying.

Nick M

30-10-2014 07:09 PM

I don't understand the logic of "people won't use it because there is X, Y or Z venue a short bus ride away". I don't limit my social activities to the venues that are nearest to me. I'd go to a gig in Battersea or see a film in Russell Square or go to the Deptford Albany if what I wanted to see or do was in those locations. Surely the point of the Capitol being a music/film/theatre venue is that it adds to the pool of possible venues catering to audiences who want to do those things, and in particular in South London, it would add choice, and restore the building to something like its former use.

MightyMouse

30-10-2014 08:21 PM

Oh, so we get to choose what we want it to be? And then someone else will front up the cash and make it happen? That's pretty cool.

upthehill

02-11-2014 04:29 PM

I can confirm, as I am sure many can on here, that the thing about Spoons wanting to close was not just a rumour.

A chat with any of the bar staff (who it must be said have now - understandably - become a bit p'ed off with the entire thing and the uncertainty), and with a fair few of the customers who are in the know, or with local CAMRA people, would confirm this.

Long may it remain as a Spoons.

Get yourselves down there.

Storyteller

20-11-2014 06:40 PM

Well The Capitol is still with us, but I have info that it will close next Easter.

Deano

20-11-2014 09:53 PM

Storyteller, do you think it may become a cinema?

Fish Face

21-11-2014 12:29 PM

My sauces tell me it will become a church

Londondrz

21-11-2014 12:55 PM

Nail bar come estate agent.

Pages (12): « First < Previous 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields