SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Which secondary school do local kids go to?
hoona

16-06-2014 01:23 PM

Hi all,
I'd love some advice! Just wondered which secondary schools SE23 kids go to? What did you put down on your list of 6 and where did you get in to? Are you happy with what you got given? Are catchments shrinking?
Would love to hear your thoughts!
Thanks so much...

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
milliemop

16-06-2014 01:56 PM

Sydenham Girls and Forest Hill boys here. They were our first choices. Both children doing very well and, touch wood, we have never had any problems. Not sure what the catchments are at the mo as they seem to change every year.

There will always be someone ready to give you a nightmare story, in regards to any school, but would advise you to gloss over most of them.

Good luck

hoona

16-06-2014 02:11 PM

Thanks so much. Glad they're happy.
Just worried that as there has been a greater demand for primary places there will also be a knock-on when it comes to secondary...

fleurie

16-06-2014 02:22 PM

Actually me too. I would be very happy with those, but I am worried that in the five years until my first child goes to secondary school the catchment areas will have shrunk - as getting a child into a primary round here now is so difficult. Is there any talk of what local secondaries are doing in anticipation of the bulge coming their way?

Sherwood

16-06-2014 02:39 PM

Putting bulge classes in secondary schools!

michael

16-06-2014 02:51 PM

Secondary schools generally have more spare class rooms and great space for expansion. In addition Sydenham girls is currently being rebuilt, so presumably taking account of increased demand, and Forest Hill Boys was rebuilt less than 10 years ago, with lots of spare room on the site of the old building. Although I think I remember hearing that they might be taking over the Brent Knoll site across the road when it becomes vacant.

And the local council cannot mis-calculating demand for secondary places, the primary schools demonstrate the likely intake with 7 years notice.

hoona

16-06-2014 03:04 PM

That's great but it sounds like it might help KS1 children. What about those due to start in 2015?
Also re Forest Hill and Sydenham, does anyone have any probs with them not being co-ed?

michael

16-06-2014 03:46 PM

They are co-ed at sixth form. But it you want co-ed I believe Kingsdale and Sedgehill may be options, depending on where you live. But you probably know this better than me if you are thinking about things for next year, I'm more interested in 2021 rather than 2015.

rshdunlop

16-06-2014 04:13 PM

Kids travel much further for secondary school than primary and many don't use distance as a criterion for awarding places, so your options are wide open, really, you don't have to stay in borough. Anywhere in London, take your pick! Local population sizes don't, therefore, have the same impact on secondary schools.

There are grammar schools as well, worth looking at if you think that would be something your child would benefit from (most won't). There are four in Bexley, some in near Croydon and some further out in Kent and Surrey. And if you're Catholic, there is a wide range of school spread across South London (West and East) and out towards Croydon and Sutton.

hoona

17-06-2014 07:12 AM

That's very helpful rshdunlop. Thanks. Though not sure my child is quite bright enough for grammar sadly! We kind of felt we were guaranteed a place at Forest Hill, but I've heard of several people whose kids didn't get in this year as it's getting more popular, hence the concerns...

This post was last modified: 17-06-2014 07:16 AM by hoona.

aswaspooluser

17-06-2014 08:36 PM

We wanted co-ed, both our boys go to Harris at Crystal Palace. We are very pleased with it and they love it.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Forest hill boys secondary school assaults Iheartsydenham 20 22,751 01-06-2016 02:48 PM
Last Post: Perryman
  Secondary school offers hoona 1 3,563 02-03-2016 01:31 PM
Last Post: Londondrz
  Local Kids on the streets ryananglem 11 10,555 13-05-2010 12:38 PM
Last Post: Ex FH Pat