SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
HOP Sainsburys delivery trucks parking
shzl400

14-06-2014 07:21 PM

Is it just me that this drives absolutely mad?

Invariably, the new HOP Sainsbury's has a delivery truck - plain white, no Saino's livery - parked outside it, in the ordinary car parking bays, leaving the specially wider loading bay just 10-20 yards down the road completely empty.

Guaranteed, if I parked in loading bay while I went into Sainos, I'd get a ticket. Also, it's at a narrow point in the road, opposite the bus stop, so traffic has to squeeze past. Is this something that the Council can deal with/Councillors can help with?

I was really looking forward to Sainos coming to HOP, but I'm not happy with the result - the prices are much higher than FH Sainos and the staff are ignorant, surly and unhelpful. (Sorry to those that might not be, but that's been my experience on more than one occasion.)

Thank you for letting me get that off my chest - I feel better now.Thumbup

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
jamster

15-06-2014 03:29 PM

I've had the opposite experience of the staff. Always found them a pleasure to deal with.

Also I've never noticed a white van parked there. What times of day are you driving there? Could you walk instead?

This post was last modified: 15-06-2014 03:30 PM by jamster.

jamster

15-06-2014 03:31 PM

I've had the opposite experience of the staff. Always found them a pleasure to deal with.

Also I've never noticed a white van parked there. What times of day are you driving past? Could you walk instead?[/font]

milliemop

15-06-2014 05:36 PM

Have to agree with Jamster, staff always polite and welcoming. Prices a bit inflated though but I still prefer to walk to Budgens 👍👍

shzl400

15-06-2014 07:40 PM

I often see them in the mornings at about 8:15 - 8:30 ish. But this latest was on Saturday at around 1:30pm.

star

15-06-2014 09:03 PM

I have found the staff friendly and helpful.
I am also really pleased to have fresh veg and meat easily accessible on my walk home.

Thumbs up from me.

OakR

15-06-2014 09:25 PM

I don't go in regularly, but I've always found the staff very friendly - I tend to go to bubbles around the corner in Brockley Rise.

Not see the Van, but when I go typically walk, and generally via the backstreets - I can see why the van parking there would be annoying and don't really understand why they would?

Cheeky

16-06-2014 08:31 AM

I've never known staff anywhere to be as friendly and helpful as they are in that Sainsbury's, and i'm not joking.

...nor have I seen one as busy

Poppy9560

16-06-2014 08:38 PM

I have always found the staff exceptionally helpful in HOP Sainsburys - one morning I wanted bread but the shelf was empty and the young man went into the back and brought a loaf out for me

kemamira

16-06-2014 08:47 PM

Poppy9560: "I have always found the staff exceptionally helpful in HOP Sainsburys - one morning I wanted bread but the shelf was empty and the young man went into the back and brought a loaf out for me"

Er... that's normal isn't? How can that be "exceptionally helpful"? Let's get things into perspective shall we?

Everyone's ignored the OP's main point about the lorries parking so why can't you reply about that?

OakR

16-06-2014 09:42 PM

Kemamira, there is a certain irony to you castigating someone for not discussing the lorry issue when you don't yourself...Smile

I think most people have not seen the lorry so can't comment on it. I don't think everyone has ignored, just no-one has seen it. I for one agreed it would be annoying but again have not witnessed it.

People have come to the defence of the staff in there who were described as 'ignorant, surly and unhelpful', which does not seem to be the experience of most (I'm not doubting the op's experiences who appears to have been quite unlucky with both the staff and the lorry..

Going to get a loaf out of the back, well that is helpful, but different expectations I guess. Smile

kemamira

16-06-2014 09:55 PM

oh dear.

PJT

17-06-2014 09:24 AM

On the issue of the lorry being parked on the street on Saturday 14 June at 1.30pm - I can shed some light on this. When I popped in to do my shopping on Saturday, one of staff who I always have a friendly banter with, said that unfortunately the lorry's tail-lift had broken down and all their fresh goods were stuck in the lorry. They were perturbed that the driver had just left the lorry there but it was out of their hands. So there's an explanation for why it was there on the street at 1.30pm.

On Sunday when I was shopping in the morning I saw the same member of staff and asked him how long they had had to wait for the tail-lift to be working - he said it was 4.30pm before it was fixed and the staff had to work flat out that evening to unload everything and restock the shelves.

I actually live on HOP and having Sainsbury's very nearby is a great advantage. I have nothing but praise for the staff and management - they are all extremely friendly and helpful. On several occasions I have asked if it would be possible for them to stock a particular item and these items have all been stocked within a few days. It's great to be able to buy fresh fruit and veg and meats - it certainly beats dragging shopping home to HOP whilst commuting from work.

I love to shop local and use as many of the shops on the Parade that I can but in my personal opinion Sainsbury's has done a lot for the street - even my hairdresser has been opening on Sundays to make the most of the extra footfall brought to the street.

mcbain23

24-06-2014 02:49 PM

another plus plus here for the Sainsburies HOP staff.. they've always been courteous and helpful to me anyhow..

shzl400

24-06-2014 07:22 PM

Lorry has still been there regularly in the mornings between 8:15 - 8:30. Could be longer, but that's about the time I pass.

Never in proper loading bay, always in car spaces.

Didn't help on Monday that a scaff lorry parked opposite. Traffic jams going both ways up and down HOP.

Cheeky

25-06-2014 07:51 AM

There's no end of trucks, scaffolding lorries, vans, and other vehicles parked all the way down that road every single morning with workmen getting their breakfast at the great little greasy spoon. No mention of them though.

Bcm

27-06-2014 05:46 PM

Another thumbs up for the staff from me, especially the lad in his early 20s who always asks me how my day has been and wishes me a good evening. I would say that is "exceptional" service.

jaradras

28-06-2014 10:43 AM

The delivery trucks & other large lorries parked on both sides at various times during the day are a hazard. I drive several times down this road during the day and these cause obstruction to flow of traffic. In addition to this we have some pedestrians coming out between these large vehicles & cannot be seen. There are two pedestrian crossings but people just cross the road anywhere they please -without even looking ! ( appears that some of them may have had several strong bevvies in the numerous outlets that we have now) hoping that the car driver will stop.

I have seen several and personally had a near miss this morning when one individual stepped right in front of me & made no effort to stop but just crossed the road oblivious of the car !.

I think accident waiting to happen here.

oryx

28-06-2014 07:28 PM

I haven't noticed any problems (maybe I don't go to HOP at the relevant times) though sounds like there are some.

But the good level of customer service given by Sainsbury's (I don't shop there often, but have noticed it when I do) is totally unrelated to any hazards their delivery lorries pose.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Parking machine in Sainsburys car park. Wilson 8 10,786 10-12-2011 08:31 AM
Last Post: shzl400