SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (2): « First < Previous 1 [2] Last »
Green Wheelie Bins
Grangerover

04-08-2008 10:54 AM

The national shortage of wheelie bins was actually mentioned on Radio 4's Today programme this morning. The presenters seemed to be particularly amused by Lewisham Council's advice to those without bins that they ask their neighbours if they could "share" their bins with them!

I noticed green wheelie bins on sale in Homebase at the weekend...

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
councillorsusanwise

05-08-2008 07:48 AM

It was encouraging to see Lewisham mentioned on Radio 4, and for me to state our case on BBC London last night. Lewisham is not blaming the French as quoted by some sources, as we recognise that it is a problem with the manufacture and delivery due to the large numbers of bins required across Europe. Lewisham residents are very keen to recycle, and that is why we have such a demand for bins ( and for black bins for refuse), unfortunately we cannot meet that demand at the moment because of supply issues. The council has interim recycling measures in place-there are green boxes and plastic bags available-until we receive our delivery, which is planned for November 08. As to asking residents to share their bins temporarily with their neighbours, I think that's what neighbours would do.

Grangerover

05-08-2008 08:36 AM

Susan, I should have added that the presenters found it amusing because it reminded them of the infamous 1970's advice to "share a bath" during water shortages. But of course it's only sensible to ask neighbours.

So, doesn't anybody in the UK manufacture wheelie bins? Seems odd that we are so reliant on France for supply.

councillorsusanwise

05-08-2008 08:47 AM

Sorry Grangerover, I missed the "share a bath" connection. As to a manufacturer of wheelie bins in the UK, no unfortunately, there does not appear to be one. This is obviously an opening for an entrepreneur who can fill the vacuum. I am going to check out the ones mentioned at Homebase!

Londondrz

05-08-2008 08:48 AM

I drive to Norfolk on a monthly basis and there are about 30000 new bins sitting at an airfield just north of the M25/M11 junction. Maybe Lewisham could borrow some.

michael

05-08-2008 09:06 AM

The radio 4 presenter that mentioned it was like share a bath was corrected by a colleague who pointed out that the share a bath concept did not extend to neighbours Blush

ForestGump

05-08-2008 12:21 PM

A man from Catford quiered if the council will be asking him to share his kitchen table next. Smile

Consider last year a large number of Lewisham wheelie bins were spotted over at Heathrow and a couple were found in the Meditteranean, I think we should ask the council what they are doing to make our wheelie bins are safe and secure.

ForestGump

05-08-2008 12:25 PM

Blaming the French and then mentioning baths, that's bound to open up old wounds.

PVP

06-08-2008 11:19 AM

We've lost one bin and 3 boxes out the front garden, so somewhere down the back of the proverbial sofa....

koza

27-08-2008 09:30 AM

i have been waiting about 8 weeks for a green wheeled recycling bin to be delivered but i appears there is a national shortage.

i am getting the feeling that these things are gonna become more valuable and start disappearing, i would think it's a good idea to put your number on it to save the trouble of having to chase for a new one.

Pages (2): « First < Previous 1 [2] Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields