SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »
Drinking outside
brian

28-07-2008 02:40 PM

Just walked down Datmouth Rd. Saw new barbers .
The Infamous Bird in The Hand did have a few sun worshippers but I feel most of the regulars had been forced inside by the heat.
The seats outside Paddy Power seemed rowdy with gentlemen of working age downing cans of very dubious lager. Why cannot F Hill have an alcohol free zone like so many areas , even downtown Ponge.
I agree that they could be shift workers but more likely persons drinking on my and others taxes.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
gingernuts

28-07-2008 03:58 PM

It's an age old problem of having outside space with benches. Until drinking outside is made an offence, i doubt there's much that can be done. Also not to forget that the good weather brings these sorts out to drink - and we dont get many good days like this....

shzl400

28-07-2008 06:38 PM

I don't think drinking outside is not the problem. I like a drink outside on a pleasant summer's day. Is it the sort of people that drink outside you are complaining about? They were drinking in the same spot before Paddy Power's was there, so nor can you blame the presence of a bookie's for attracting the clientele. I think it would be a great shame if we resorted to having a Drinking Control Zone in FH - says something about the area, don't you think?

The solution? If I had it, I would probably be very wealthy... However, I do think that if an area is provided with benches, it will get used in this way, unless other - do I dare say "ordinary" people make use of them. They are intimidated away by the gentlemen with cans of Stella. If there was, say, a regular market, cafe stall, buskers' stand etc. you could turn it round to become a meeting place for local people, mums and pushchairs etc. Or am I looking through rose-tinted glasses?

Baboonery

29-07-2008 09:40 AM

I know certain posters do not like us being critical of the Pub or its patrons , but keeps coming back so seems concern to many.

And have a guess why it keeps coming back, Brian?

This thread contributes nothing but an addition to the atmosphere of Daily Mail hatred that is taking over this place, and I must ask the mods if they consider it a valid addition to the other 987 threads on almost identical subjects.

gingernuts

29-07-2008 11:05 AM

Baboonery, put aside your dislike of the Daily Mail as I'm not sure what relevance this has. If people (or Brian as it seems he continues to bring this topic up) dislikes gambling and drinking, then it's his prerogative. These places exist because people use them - Brian obviously doesnt.

Most people accept that drinking occurs and where there are benches, drunks can linger. Unless these people break the law, what can you do? Best to ignore it.

Rather than sensor Brian's repetitious comments, it's probably best not to respond and they'd just die a natural death.

Baboonery

29-07-2008 11:30 AM

That tends not to be how these things work.

foxe

29-07-2008 01:23 PM

Poor old brian. He bemoans the presence of drunks in public and gets accused of Daily Mail reading. i happen to agree with him as do most sane people who want to live without fear of being harrangued...

On a more positive note, the new 'public square' in front of the new swimming pool will give the drunks another taxpayer funded recreation area to hang out in. I won't be able to use it as I'll be at work......

Baboonery

29-07-2008 01:32 PM

As you've both said, approximately 876 times before. Why bother starting a whole new thread to say so again? I don't see any need for it. Can't you pick one of the other threads on this subject to repeat your boorish intolerance?

Alternatively, can Admin establish a 'Brian and Foxe complain about the EVIL of a 20-yard stretch of Dartmouth Road Forum'.

Baboonery

29-07-2008 01:33 PM

Oh, and 'fear of being harangued'! Don't be such a drama queen.

foxe

29-07-2008 01:34 PM

Baboonery - you sound quite agitated. Are you one of the regulars outside paddy power perchance? How do they take to your guardian reading?

gingernuts

29-07-2008 01:37 PM

and its.........a..........fight!

but seriously foxe are you really 'afraid'? or are these boozers just a bit of a nuisance?

Baboonery

29-07-2008 01:39 PM

No, I am not. Are you?

foxe

29-07-2008 02:15 PM

I was being a drama queen - I usually walk on the other side of the road to 'paddy'. I do find the drunks outside Bird in the Hand a bit threatening on occasion (esp their dogs), but Baboonery says there's another thread which covers this. I haven't yet read a thread which says "Why I want to live in a more loutish Forest Hill" I wonder why.....

Baboonery

29-07-2008 02:19 PM

Oh right, I get you now. I think you exaggerate the threat from the Paddy Power lot (I mean, I only live by it, what would I know?), so

• I must be one of them.
  • I must want to live in a more loutish Forest Hill
Seriously, I think you want to get a sense of perspective. Start by not starting a thread on it every day.

foxe

29-07-2008 03:01 PM

I've never started a thread on anything.

P.S why are you reading this thread if you don't like it?

brian

29-07-2008 03:22 PM

Very interesting reading. Go out for a few hours and I miss all the excitement.
1. I did not start the thread on the Bird
2. I never purchase the Daily Mail, TheTimes is my paper. To be honest I occasionally read a courtesy copy the The Mail in coffee shops but usually depresses me for the whole day so have stopped.
3. I do drink and have done for many years , but hopefully civilised drinking. Have been a boring member of CAMERA for about 30 plus years , although do not agree with some of the zealots in the organisation
4. Do not gamble as I believe it is simply a way of the rich getting richer and the poor poorer, but only my humble opinion.

I know it does upset some people if one mentioned negative aspects of the locality , but do we want a site with purely plus items. I do often post positive items , only Sunday a very positive item on our library.

Very best wishes to all for a great evening. I'm going for a drink in Penge.

gingernuts

29-07-2008 03:41 PM

Penge - now that is a dodgy area!Laugh

Baboonery

29-07-2008 03:41 PM

Because I saw the thread title and thought 'ah, I see Brian has started yet another thread about his favourite 100 square yards of Forest Hill!' and eagerly read it to see what new advances to the cause of a peaceful and productive neighbourhood were contained therein.

I discovered none, just a rehash of the same old hatred.

I wondered if the admins (who normally don't hesitate to split or merge threads or OT them) might consider yet another almost identical thread unnecessary.

Then you decided I was a street drinker because I didn't hate these people with the same force you do.

That's why I'm still reading this utterly pointless thread. It's why I'd still like it deleted. I have got into trouble on here in the past for not thinking that everything was wonderful in Forest Hill, so please don't paint me as some sort of cheerleader. But seriously. We know what you think about the Bird in Hand/Paddy Power area. You both tell us every day on every thread even tangentially linked. As someone who lives in the area (above Martins), please, sincerely, give it a rest. It's as if someone took your Big Issue sellers away and you had to find something else to complain about. Oh, wait...

Brian, I know you didn't start the thread about the BiH, but you contribute to it with alarming regularity, and shoehorn it into almost every other thread you can. It's just not necessary. Boorishness bothers me. You don't want to live in a town where benches in the centre attract street drinkers (like I saw in down-at-heel Richmond the other day), I don't want to live in a town that sounds like the Talksport studio.

foxe

29-07-2008 03:46 PM

ooooh the intolerance......

brian

29-07-2008 03:55 PM

Hi
I agree Penge very dodgy.
Perhaps these postings have reached a natural end as there seems to be a fundamental difference of opinion on both sides.
Let us open a new chapter of positive only thinking in F Hill. Might do us all good including me.
Sorry if I offended anyone.
Reason I raised issue in the first place because the language could cause offence to any ladies or children passing. Anyway enough said , I certainly will never use this site to abuse other members.
Have a great evening.

Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields