SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »
Voting - Thursday 22nd May
michael

19-05-2014 08:46 AM

Don't forget to vote this Thursday for local councillors, mayor of Lewisham, and European Parliament members.

Details of how to vote can be found at http://www.lewisham.gov.uk/mayorandcounc...-2014.aspx

With three different elections comes three different voting systems:
Local councillors - up to three Xs for any individuals
Mayor - Two Xs - An X in the first choice column and X in the second choice column (if you wish)
European elections - One X only

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
No Longer Registered

21-05-2014 12:32 PM

If I want to vote tactically at the election with the sole aim of getting rid of our existing mayor who has the best chance of defeating Sir Steve? Last time round it was the Lib Dems. Is that still the case?

AMFM

21-05-2014 02:15 PM

The Lib Dem candidate is Duwayne Brooks so while the Lib Dems as a party may be tainted by the association with the Tories in coalition, I doubt people would feel that way about him so I suspect yes, he probably is in with a reasonable chance.

robin orton

21-05-2014 02:27 PM

You might also give the Tory your second vote.

michael

22-05-2014 10:12 AM

One of the candidates for Mayor of Lewisham has made it into the Mirror today:
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/uki...ed-3585403

MightyMouse

22-05-2014 11:09 AM

With regards to the council elections, apparently the Electoral Reform Society say there's a strong chance Lewisham will become a virtual One Party State: http://www.electoral-reform.org.uk/press-releases/

"One Party States, defined as councils at least 75% dominated by one party, are bad for voters because they are almost never based on popular mandate in line with the amount of power the ruling party enjoys. In Lewisham, for instance, the ERS expects over 90% of the council seats to be taken by Labour, but barely half of the electorate actually to vote for them. One Party States also tend to lead to bad governance, as a council dominated by a single party lacks the scrutiny provided by an effective opposition."

They're forecasting that 92.3% of Lewisham will be Labour-held after today's vote.

You may see this as a reason to vote... or a reason not to.

BillieJameson

22-05-2014 11:24 AM

If you want to vote tactically for the Mayor you need to use your first preference for the party you realistically think has a very good chance of winning. That person needs to get over 50% of the votes cast to win. If you really think that party can win there's no point giving a second preference because that would mean your first choice failed. So if you want the Lib Dems to win there's no point using your second preference.

michael

22-05-2014 12:17 PM

I disagree with Billie.
For your first vote for Mayor of Lewisham choose any candidate/party you wish to support. With your second choice it is only worth voting for a party that has a good chance of being one of the top two or three - it is not for me to say which party that could be.
To use Billie's example: 'if you want the Lib Dems' first preference should be obvious, your second choice should be the party you think most likely to be in first or second place if the Lib Dems are not (possibly a choice between Labour and Conservative or possibly Green or possibly UKIP).

The results from the 2010 elections can be found at: http://www.lewisham.gov.uk/mayorandcounc...ction.aspx
What is shows (other than the result) is that over 100,000 people voted, 33,000 people voted for a party other than the top 2, and of these only 14,000 people picked a second choice that made it into the top two, which under this electoral system is a wasted vote by 19% of the electorate (plus another 4% wasted because they didn't understand/spoiled the ballot paper).

I would urge everybody to use their 1st and 2nd votes for mayor. And make sure you pick 3 names for local councillor (certainly no more than 3 otherwise all your selections will be rejected).

No Longer Registered

22-05-2014 06:26 PM

Thanks for all the advice. I have applied it and will now wait and see if the iron curtain that has descended over the Borough will be lifted.

michael

23-05-2014 09:28 AM

Results should be available this evening and will be displayed at http://www.lewisham.gov.uk/mayorandcounc...-2014.aspx

I believe the votes for mayor are usually counted before the councillors.

European election results will be declared on Sunday evening.

robin orton

23-05-2014 07:06 PM

Nothing yet, apparently. Why are Lewisham and Tower Hamlets the stragglers among London boroughs?

BringOutTheCranston

23-05-2014 07:38 PM

Lewisham's website is not working (quelle surprise) but the twittersphere says that Steve Bullock has won on the first round with a massive majority. He got 36k votes, the Conservatives appear to be second with 8k.

We could be in for a Labour 'redwash'.

BringOutTheCranston

23-05-2014 07:40 PM
jollyrog

23-05-2014 07:50 PM

The delay in posting Lewisham's results is a bit third world.

Tower Hamlets is corrupt. They are probably counting each vote five times, just to be sure. Explains their delay.

George Crozier

24-05-2014 03:22 AM

Forest Hill result for the record -
Maya Hilton (Lab) 2115 - elected
Peter Bernards (Lab) 1945 - elected
Paul Upex (Lab) 1814 - elected
Alex Feakes (Lib Dem) 1292
George Crozier (Lib Dem) 866
Margot Wilson (Lib Dem) 839
Greens 786, 764 and 615
Conservatives 622, 592 and 518
People Before Profit 408
UKIP 419

I don't have the full results for Perry Vale and other wards I'm afraid. Suffice to say, unless you live in Brockley (which has one Green and two Labour councillors) the winners in your ward were Labour and the make up of the council is now a Labour Mayor (Steve Bullock as previously), 53 Labour councillors and one Green.

As one of the Lib Dem candidates I'd like to thank all those who voted for us and made this actually one of the closer contests of the night (indeed Alex's tally was actually the highest Lib Dem vote of the night anywhere in Lewisham - a tribute to his personal achievements as councillor over the last eight years). I've already offered my congratulations and best wishes to Peter, Paul and Maya (wonder why I have 60s folk music going round my head?)

For our part we certainly won't be going away. The challenge of scrutinising the Labour mayor and council will just be that little bit more challenging being from outside the council chamber!

Best wishes

George Crozier
Forest Hill Lib Dems

robin orton

24-05-2014 07:13 AM

Bad luck, Alex, George and Margot. Hang on in there! What goes round comes round (or whatever the expression is).

jollyrog

24-05-2014 08:37 AM

The one party state. We're paying for 51 Councillors that we don't need.

BringOutTheCranston

24-05-2014 11:55 AM

Quote:
The one party state. We're paying for 51 Councillors that we don't need

Whilst it certainly isn't ideal that every councillor is from the same party and so cannot be challenged in the council I disagree with your statement.

Every council, of whatever colour, is spending huge amounts of public money and so we need elected representatives who make decisions on how that money is spent. If you don't like what the council are doing you then have people you can go to directly and at the next election vote for or against them depending on their records.

I'd rather have elected councillors decide how money is spent than unaccountable bearucrats.

If the electorate doesn't want a one part state then it should vote for other parties. Or maybe people are happy with how Lewisham is being run and would like a little bit more of the same.

BringOutTheCranston

24-05-2014 12:04 PM

Disappointing that Lewisham Council hasn't released all the results yet on their website and have just posted the winners.

edd

24-05-2014 02:53 PM

Hardly surprising, though.

Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields