SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Forest Hill Hotel aka Wenlock House
Tim Lund

19-05-2014 09:28 AM

I'm glad you're only joking there Michael. As I'm sure you appreciate, seriously, I'm testing my hypothesis that landlords will not keep property empty when they can get a rent in the meantime.

Interesting to note that although FH Soc notionally offset the loss of this pub against the gain of the Sylvan Posts, the formality of the owners having to demonstrate that they could not get a tenant for it as a pub still had to be gone through. Prima facie evidence, I'd say of planning getting in the way of efficient provision of housing.

Cheeky - I agree - I think the architecture was - and still is - good, which is why I was reminded of it by the case of the Kent House Tavern. My general point, as readers of these Forums will know, is that pubs such as these have a much better chance of surviving as such if the demand for housing can be met by redeveloping existing residential sites, without having to wait for them to relapse into dereliction and so count as brownfield. Such densification of borderline suburban areas such as ours will also bring in more new clients for our existing pubs.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Messages In This Topic
RE: Forest Hill Hotel aka Wenlock House - Tim Lund - 19-05-2014 09:28 AM

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Planning application to convert Forest Hill Co-op to a hotel hillview 12 13,146 10-03-2018 02:34 PM
Last Post: Uhuru
  House prices in Forest Hill - are they *definitely* on the up? JonathanH 48 55,903 18-01-2014 12:47 AM
Last Post: P1971