SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Flight Path
FireSnake

16-05-2014 09:34 AM

Is it me or has anybody noticed a significant rise in air traffic over our heads?

I went in to the garden this morning and I counted three planes in 5 mins then a ten minute break, and now another as I type....

It wasn't like this last year. :-( very annoying.

Some light shed on this would be helpful.

Many thanks in advance

FireSnake

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Londondrz

16-05-2014 10:31 AM

Hi FireSnake, this pops up at this time of year on here, every year. As it's warmer we tend to leave a window open or ajar at night so the planes seem louder.

I don't think there are any more or less.

Do a search on here as I remember there being a good link to aircraft movements. There is also the Flight Radar app. It wont make it less noisy but at least you will know where the planes have come from Laugh

FireSnake

16-05-2014 11:26 AM

Thank you for responding Smile

I searched flight path before posting the message but I didn't hear this much traffic last year. There is a plane every few minutes. :-( this is in the day time. Night time I can't hear any.

I am curious about the flight app... Do you know what it's called?

Many thanks again.

Londondrz

16-05-2014 11:37 AM

Hi FireSnake, it is Flight Radar on the Apple and Android stores.

jollyrog

16-05-2014 05:02 PM

The low ones annoying you are probably London City Airport inbounds, they overfly SE6/SE23 at 2,000 feet.

We do have others joining the Heathrow approaches from the Biggin Hill stack, but they tend to be a bit higher, around 3,000 feet and more to the East of us, although a few come overhead.

Look at the arrivals board for London City Airport, they come over us about 5 minutes before arrival.

London City is closed at night and between 1200 Saturday and 1200 Sunday.

topofthehill

17-05-2014 10:16 AM

You may like to read the 8 page thread on the East Dulwich Forum on this topic.

FireSnake

17-05-2014 10:23 AM

Thank you for your responses Smile

I downloaded the app and now I can see when they are coming over! - Shame you can't control them too Wink

I will have a look at he Dulwich forum today and see what's being said.

I know we obviously need planes but would be nice if they alternated the flight path so everyone shared the noise and pollution at some point.

Have a good weekend, it's gonna be a scorcher Smile)

FireSnake

This post was last modified: 17-05-2014 10:26 AM by FireSnake.

rshdunlop

17-05-2014 10:42 AM

It quite true, as soon as the weather gets a bit nicer, we start to notice the plane noise more. I was guilty of starting just such a thread about this time last year!

Snazy

18-05-2014 09:14 AM

I enjoy sitting in the garden watching them come over, very rarely too loud to continue a conversation. The only time im bothered is when the engine pitch changes suddenly lol

clausy

21-05-2014 09:31 AM

The thing I find odd is that the lower planes coming into city (which come over us going west and then turn to the east) co-incide with Heathrow approach landing to the west. You'd think they you would get one or the other not both because the wind is either easterly or westerlyand that that air traffic control would have them either both landing one way or the other. Nevertheless it's quite cool to see a couple of planes quite close overhead going to different airports.

This post was last modified: 21-05-2014 09:33 AM by clausy.

Mr_Numbers

21-05-2014 11:04 AM

Quote:
the lower planes coming into city (which come over us going west and then turn to the east) co-incide with Heathrow approach landing to the west.

It looks odd, doesn't it. But you'd probably find it's actually a northerly or southerly crosswind for both runways, perhaps slightly more easterly for one and westerly for the other. And you may also find that the 'overlap' doesn't last long as one airport or the other is about to change the 'active' runway from 09 to 27 (or vice versa). Which isn't easy when you've got a lot of traffic stacked up for landing!

FireSnake

21-05-2014 11:41 AM

It's very annoying - still.

They are so low! I can smell the fumes. It's right over my house and yes the engine does rev up quite a bit.

When I lived in Ibiza there was a beach club called Bora Bora. The planes used to fly over so low that you thought I was gonna crash! Reminds me of those times.

I wish that app could control them lol. I'd sent them over west London seeing they have no conjestion charge.... Smile)))

Cheeky

21-05-2014 11:54 AM

I think you'll probably find West London (Richmond) has it quite a bit worse than we do

Snazy

21-05-2014 11:59 AM

Much talk today about the impact on London with the planned changes.
https://twitter.com/NewAirport4UK/status...28/photo/1

FireSnake

21-05-2014 12:33 PM

Thanks for that snazzy.

Well seeing that west London (Kensington and Westminster) has no congestion charge, and they have dirt cheap council tax they deserve it. (Joke)

Smile happy days

michael

21-05-2014 01:50 PM

I think that if you compare house prices in Putney or Richmond with Deptford and New Cross you'll find that high levels of aviation noise is not a major concern for home owners in London. Not that it isn't an issue, just that there are more serious issues that impact how desirable an area is.

My preference is for an expansion to Gatwick. If this impacts our ability to be a major hub then the solution would be a high speed link between Heathrow and Gatwick.
Cost of expanding Gatwick is £8bn (privately funded)
Cost of a 3rd runway at Heathrow £17bn (£6bn from the taxpayer)
Cost of new airport and infrastructure in Thames Estuary £24bn

Since Crossrail cost £15bn, a high speed point to point connection between the two airports should be possible to achieve for significantly less. For connection times consider that the 44 miles from Ashford to Calais takes 30 minutes. A 25 mile connection between Gatwick and Heathrow could be achieved in under 20 minutes - the same time it takes to travel from Heathrow terminal 1 to Heathrow terminal 5!

A high speed rail link from Gatwick to Heathrow has to be better value for money, less subjected to global warming, and allowing greater airport capacity, than a estuary airport.

lacb

21-05-2014 02:52 PM

Yes, I think that the aviation noise issue (locally) is overblown though it is true that most European capitals do not fly airliners over the centre. The pollution is another matter but should also include traffic for balance but never does.

Re expansion for Gatwick: is that a LHR Gatwick Terminal idea? If so then a security nightmare. You would need to segregate transfer and normal passengers in different parts of the train but even that is probably a non-starter (once upon a time you could check-in baggage at Paddington if taking the Heathrow Express, very convenient but clearly a security risk). If it isn't integrated with the terminals then you lose the aviation hub - you might as well just close Heathrow in that case and we will all pay much more for foreign flights and London loses a competitive advantage.

Don't have a history of agreeing with Boris but I think he happens to have it right in this case.

michael

21-05-2014 03:49 PM

My proposed train line would essentially be within the airport, so you could check in at either airport and then get on the train to travel to your gate, with baggage traveling in a luggage car.

Alternatively you could ask people to pick up their bags and then get on the train before checking in again. This is exactly what you need to do at Washington and other airports in the US (not so sure about Europe).

New York manages to be a city with two hub airports (poorly connected) and yet it remains a major world city.

lacb

21-05-2014 04:28 PM

The Dulles train I think you refer to is within the airport - it is not leaving the security perimeter.

New York is not a good comparison as JFK is international hub but La Guardia domestic. I don't think you would find much support in the Big Apple for splitting JFK traffic between 2 hub airports (Newark?).

BTW, JFK flights take off over the sea (and they manage bird strike issues.) It also has lots of space, more terminals and runways than Heathrow.

Schipol is surely a better European comparison and has many more destinations than Heathrow already. You hardly notice the air traffic even quite close to the airport.

jollyrog

21-05-2014 06:14 PM

2,700+ metres of unused runway now available at Manston, ILSs both ends, East-West runway with published (currently suspended) over-sea instrument approaches and departures and plenty of land available on-site for terminal development and (if required) runway extension to the West.

Full planning permission for passenger carriage flights already in place and for those that don't know about these things, until it closed last week, it regularly handled laden 747 cargo aircraft.

Gatwick's standby runway (yes, Gatwick already has two runways) is shorter.

Not far from the Kent high speed rail line, the money saved could be spent on the connection.

What a waste.
Manston (EGMH) data

This post was last modified: 21-05-2014 06:19 PM by jollyrog.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Early morning flight path Scotslass 12 11,564 19-06-2015 03:05 PM
Last Post: John Daker