SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (104): « First < Previous 64 65 66 67 [68] 69 70 71 72 Next > Last »
Forest Hill Pools
robin orton

13-05-2010 08:21 AM

David Whiting said:

Quote:
On the whole, I think the architects have done a grand job of fitting a viable leisure centre into a difficult site.

I wouldn't disagree. The problem is inherent in the original brief. Too late to do anything about that, I acknowledge.

sydenhamcentral said:

Quote:
The signage looks handsome too.

Hm. Do we really have to have FOREST HILL POOLS in big, shouty, upper-case sans-serif letters? In my view it makes the old Victorian frontage look even more lonely and out-of-place.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
gingernuts

13-05-2010 10:25 AM

The problem with the 'cube' is that its plain and modern style contrasts with the original building and sticks out quite uncomfortably. If it was to be built flush with the other site, it might look better. However, this is still a better design than any of the previous options where the pools were to be pulled down completely.

sydenhamcentral

13-05-2010 10:42 AM

I don't think caps type on the side of a building the signage is 'shouty'. THIS IS SHOUTY WHEN USED IN A SENTENCE. But on a building? Actually, you have hit a raw nerve there Robin. It drives me mad when marketing people add 'y' to the end of a word like 'it needs to be more foody', it's too 'shouty', it needs to be more 'innocenty' or 'brandy', 'cocacola-y'.

On that style of building, in that setting, simple, clean signage like that is far more fitting than something totally out of place with it's setting...like a huge mosaic on a contemporary piece of architecture for instance (I was smiling when I wrote this so please take it in the spirit in which is it written!).

robin orton

13-05-2010 12:37 PM

Apologies for driving you mad, Sydenham Central. Quite unintended. Any other kinds of word I ought to avoid in future for the sake of your mental health?

sydenhamcentral

13-05-2010 12:47 PM

Abbreviations also DMM (or should it be dmm?).

;-)

michael

13-05-2010 12:58 PM

Don't be so touchy
lol

NewForester

13-05-2010 01:21 PM

DMM - Digital Multi meter / Diabolical Meaningless Mnemonics?

How would you break up the frontage so that it wasn't such a monolith? Would windows or recesses improve it?

NewForester

13-05-2010 01:23 PM

(Rereads original post - Drive me mad)

sydenhamcentral

13-05-2010 01:34 PM

Nope...I'll leave you to work out what DMM means.

:-)

I like the pools, I wouldn't change it to be honest. Showing it around the office where I work with other designers and architects it gets an overall thumbs up. It's like a Lib Con pact here while it seems as if the Se23 Forum is in opposition!

I'd like to se actual samples of the materials that are used on the exterior. It's impossible to tell from just a rendering what it will be like. Hopefully there is an exhibition somewhere with these samples...

There is no substitute for good quality materials. I'm a huge fan of vertical wall gardens. They insulate from heat and noise, are self irrigating and you can actually include the signage in the planting so it blooms with the words 'forest hill pools' which given the 'Forest' part of the name makes sense. It costs about £150 per M2 including fitting and is self irrigating. It encourages butterflies and wildlife.

NewForester

13-05-2010 03:49 PM

Not an actual sample, but this is taken from page 38 of the Design Statement

Perryman

13-05-2010 04:05 PM

I'm sure some of the letters will fall off within a year.
"FOR ILL POO S" perhaps?

Going by the picture, (which may be misleading - I believe the block is not actually going to be further forward that the old pools), even with these terracotta planks, it still looks like a big plant block.

It would probably be best disguised behind large trees, but they would block light to the cafe.

I quite like this idea of a huge mosaic -in shades of terracotta - this is meant to be our gateway building after all.

LiseOfSE23

13-05-2010 05:02 PM

Being an "impacted local resident" (even with the 8am start of demolition noises daily) I am very supportive of the redevelopment project and having followed this saga closely for the past year this is by far the best option that has been tabled. Thumbup

Having read the plans I am still concerned about

• Parking, there are no other options than parking on local residential roads. Does anyone remember what it was like when the old pools were still open?
  • Water Drainage - There is a lot of run off water from Thorpewood Avenue, Derby Hill Crescent and Derby Hill, all of which culminates in a storm drain on the western edge of the pools site. I couldn't find any mention of that in the reports (Its a Victorian drainage system and so is not recognised by Thames Water).

As for the look of the building, I don't think the designers will ever be able to please everyone. I'd like them to be able to get on with the job and give us the community center we have all been looking forward to.

borderpaul

15-05-2010 02:05 PM

I started living in the area a few years before it closed. You noticed quite a lot of cars with swimmers parking in the vicinity on saturdays and during summer holidays. I think the area has changed a lot since then with a lot more cars on the local streets parked by residents/commuters and the occasional one dumped for a few weeks. I don't think there is the capacity to absorb swimmers cars within easy walking distance which is a shame as it will hinder access to important sections of the community such as those with reduced mobility and families with young children who can't take a direct bus to the pool.

I think the council has paid lip service to providing for these residents by providing one parking space only and saying the local streets can take the rest. I think from the designs it looks like it will be a brilliant facility but our council may need to make some unpopular decisions on the local roads.

Foresters

15-05-2010 02:32 PM

How aboout adding an underground car park! Go down far enough and you could lose a bit of height from the terracotta plant block to!

Tim Walder

17-05-2010 09:29 PM

To be fair, people with serious mobility issues will be catered for: there is a disabled parking space at the front. There is also an in and out access road drop-off arrangement for schools and others bringing groups of children or adults with mobility difficulties.

There will be bike racks. Dartmouth Road is quite close to Forest Hill station and is served by the 197 and 176 buses (and maybe others). There is very little space on site, there was never much parking available before. I think the Council is right to suggest that the facility is primarily a local one and people should walk, cycle or use public transport, unless they have a specific difficulty (other than laziness).

Satchers

19-05-2010 02:22 AM

Just in case it is not clear from the Lewisham website the closing date for the consultation on the pools planning application formally ends on the 2nd June although generally the planning authority will take later submissions into account where they are relevant. It is worth getting your response in by that date if you can.

In relation to the comments on car parking above. I really do not think that the site is big enough to accommodate on site car parking and underground car parking (below two large volumes of water!) would be prohibitively expensive. There are a very large number of people living within 800m (10 minutes walk) of the pools and for many of them it will be easier to walk than it will be to find a car parking space. The plans show plenty of buggy parking which will help with getting small children to the building.

Maybe they are going to have to think of ways of encouraging us all to walk or use public transport?

borderpaul

20-05-2010 10:21 PM

Currently the front of Louise House is being used as a car park, perhaps this could be formally used for the library and swimming pool.

Everybody encourages walking and most people will, even the lazy ones but there will always be a requirement for parking. Look at the local pools, The Bridge or Beckenham's Spa and you will see that a lot of people drive especially families with multiple or young kids. They may be less than 10 minutes walk as the crow flies but try getting a buggy over the German bridge.

Sherwood

02-06-2010 08:30 AM

Lewisham Council has received expresions of interest in building the new pool/s from 14 builders.
Hopefully, work will start soon.

michael

08-06-2010 11:20 AM

Because there have been 10 objections to the planning application there will be a public meeting held to discuss the plans and objections.

It is to be held at the Forest Hill Library on Tuesday, 22nd June at 7pm, and should last no longer than 1 hour.

Whether you are in favour of the development or object to the plans, I would urge you can attend to express you views and listen to the explanation by the council/architects.

The Forest Hill Society has officially written to express our general approval for the plans. You can read the response at http://www.foresthillsociety.com/2010/06...-hill.html

michael

15-06-2010 02:18 PM

I have been informed that the pools planning meeting will take place at 7pm on Tues 22nd June 2010 at the Christian Fellowship Centre, 39 Honor Oak Road, SE23 3SH

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Forest Hill Pools Cllr Sophie Davis 1 4,326 11-02-2019 02:08 PM
Last Post: StuartG
  Forest Hill Pools Documentary hillview 0 3,122 06-01-2019 10:14 AM
Last Post: hillview
  Thefts from Forest Hill Pools Gym Lockers Tina 4 6,853 14-09-2018 09:25 AM
Last Post: hillview
  Forest Hill Assembly - Saturday 11 March , 1.30 – 3.30 pm at The Forest Hill Pools Cllr Paul Upex 0 3,363 07-03-2017 11:02 AM
Last Post: Cllr Paul Upex
  Forest Hill Pools Slipper Baths localbigwig 0 3,632 23-02-2016 06:54 PM
Last Post: localbigwig
  Face lift of block before Forest Hill Pools Cheeky 3 7,812 23-06-2014 01:39 PM
Last Post: digime
  Save Forest Hill Pools alexis 62 69,181 24-03-2008 09:38 PM
Last Post: sydenhamcentral