SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Big Spiderwebs in The Capitol.
Cellar Door

24-09-2013 02:31 PM

I have discovered what appears to be a largish colony of spiders in The Capitol.

(If you choose to continue reading this missive from me, then please remember the words:

that are in large, friendly letters on the cover of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.)

And do please remember that according to another great guide, the Natural History Museum's website:

In the UK, spiders are not normally thought of as hazardous to health.

Anyway, pushing on, over the years from where I stand in The Capitol I have observed this intriguing web being created. I am no Arachnologist. But just in the last month or so the size and multiple locations of these fascinating webs has significantly increased.

For example, the biggest I've seen so far is located here:

• Enter into the The Capitol from the main doors at the front and pass through the beautiful 1920's lobby.
  • Glide up the stairs.
  • Tip-toe through the Family Area.
  • Stop at the top of the stairs before you descend into the mayhem of the main bar area.
  • Look forward as if the old cinema screen was still there.
  • Glance towards the extreme right hand corner above the last of the massive windows. About 40 to 50 feet above the ground. (The South West corner if you have a compass orientated brain.)
  • How good is your eyesight? Can you see a complex group of spiderwebs?

They are approximately 6 feet by 4 feet.

Yes. You read that right. 6 feet by 4 feet.

And growing.

I've got a telescope from the National Maritime Museum but I'd look a right lump standing there like Captain Jack Sparrow.

I love technology but I don't have a working camera to take a photo for you. (Maybe some kind soul in SE23 land and beyond could do this and post on here?)

I've mentioned this to one on my mates that works in Pest Control and drinks in there on occasion. Just recently. When I did his eyebrows hit the ceiling approximately where the spiderwebs are. My mate, with his keen eye, observed multiple webs all around the sides at the same height. Now, I have seen all the other webs, I cannot stop looking at them. And they look fresh and they are growing rapidly in number and size.

So, being a good citizen I took myself down to the 'Reptile and Arachnid' room in the Supreme Animal Pet Shop in Ladywell/Lewisham.

Andy, the terrific bloke feeding the creepy crawlies in the room, was ever so interested in my information. I've given him my telephone number so that his mate, that works in the Natural History Museum in the Arachnology bit, can give me a tinkle. Andy was very sure that he'd be quite interested.

I keep a healthy distance from most spiders. I respect them immensely. In fact, I've got a lovely spider living happily in my bedroom that has been wonderfully taking care of the flies during these long hot summer months that we have had. I know where she lives in my room. I check that she is well each week and collect the dead flies clustered beneath her orb web. This is a very cheap form of pesticide and quite good for the environment.

I, also, think that the spiders in The Capitol are performing the same tasks. I've read that some spiders can eat birds. Particularly, those coming originally from the Americas.

Do we have some South American visitors set-up shop in The Capitol?

This has got me interested because of the rabbit problem in Australia. They were first taken over there with the first fleet in 1788. Having no particular issue with any of the local wildlife, they grew to epic proportions. I used to live very close to the Rabbit Proof Fence in Western Australia in the late 20th century, so I've seen first hand what an un-checked foreign species can do to the locals. Think Eastern Grey Squirrels displacement of the Red Squirrel in the UK and ROI.

I've mentioned all of this to the excellent staff in The Capitol. I've had a variety of reactions. But no clear indication of what they intend to do next. I think the best way forward is to leave them well enough alone and to get on with things. (The spiders and the staff.)

But I, also, think it might be interesting and wise to gather information about what we have got there in The Capitol. Just in case we have a similar squirrel displacement problem. But with spiders.

The purpose of me writing on here today is to see if there are any locals that have experience or have studied Arachnology and could provide anymore information about my sighting in The Capitol?

This post was last modified: 24-09-2013 02:32 PM by Cellar Door.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Messages In This Topic
Big Spiderwebs in The Capitol. - Cellar Door - 24-09-2013 02:31 PM
RE: Big Spiderwebs in The Capitol. - Les - 24-09-2013, 06:17 PM
RE: Big Spiderwebs in The Capitol. - Snazy - 25-09-2013, 03:51 PM
RE: Big Spiderwebs in The Capitol. - Red67 - 26-09-2013, 02:18 PM
RE: Big Spiderwebs in The Capitol. - lacb - 26-09-2013, 02:48 PM