SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
TfL survey - Going cashless on buses
Mr_Numbers

30-08-2013 10:43 AM

TfL is proposing to entirely remove the option of paying for bus fares by cash in 2014.

There's already a hefty price differential to encourage the use of Oyster cards or contactless card payments, and so now cash is just 1% of journeys, apparently.

They claim they could save £24m a year by going cashless and that they would reinvest that money in the transport network. I'm personally unconvinced by that figure and by the pledge but I'm no expert.

Personally, I worry about the removal of cash as a "payment of last resort". They are suggesting they might allow people to make "one more journey" if there is insufficient credit on their Oyster card, but I can imagine all kinds of situations where that wouldn't be an adequate alternative (eg, wallet lost/stolen, so no payment card or Oyster card).

They are doing a "consultation" - you can take part by clicking here: https://consultations.tfl.gov.uk/buses/cashless

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Messages In This Topic
TfL survey - Going cashless on buses - Mr_Numbers - 30-08-2013 10:43 AM