SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Emergency Extra Classes
michael

25-07-2013 08:57 AM

I don't know the full story, which is why I'm posting, to understand a bit more about what has happened.

Just before the end of term Lewisham appears to have noticed that there are more children than school places (despite clear warnings that this would be the case for at least 4 years). As a result Fairlawn, Kilmorie, and Hasteltine, all excellent schools in and around SE23 in a single federation, have had to add additional classes, in the case of Kilmorie I understand that this means 4 form entry (120 children in a single year).

What seems seriously unfair is that some parents will have been put off applying for schools (or accepting alternatives) based on tiny catchment areas, when at the last minute there is a massive and unexpected increase in supply. It makes any idea of parental choice a little harder to understand.

A secondary concern that I have is what effect this will have on following years, with large numbers of siblings to these same schools (sometimes coming larger distances) filling up places that would otherwise go to local children.

Is there any physical space left for the additional classes that will be needed next year, given that the numbers of children requiring places is only increasing next year?

But most of all how could school places have suddenly turned into what looks like crisis management, and just before the summer holidays looks not only unfair on parents, but deliberately designed to avoid any discussion by governors, parents, councillors, etc.

I realise I don't know everything that is going on, so I hope that if I have mis-stated any points here they will be corrected.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Messages In This Topic
Emergency Extra Classes - michael - 25-07-2013 08:57 AM
RE: Emergency Extra Classes - michael - 25-07-2013, 03:16 PM