SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
New Cross to Victoria Cycle Superhighway
ryananglem

05-12-2012 02:21 PM

TfL have just announced a consultation for the proposed CS5 from New Cross to Victoria.

TfL Consultation

They are proposing a number of mandatory cycle lanes interspersed with a what amounts to a few strips of blue paint on the road - finishing up at the Vauxhall gyratory where they encourage cyclists to cross 4 lanes of traffic to make it from one part of the cycle lane to the other.

Now, I agree that getting infrastructure in place is a good step in getting people out of cars and onto bikes - but I currently cycle to Victoria every day and go through Burgess Park and the back streets of Southwark and only have about a mile (a portion of the Old Kent Road) on main roads that I have to share with cars/trucks etc. The rest of the time I follow the existing London Cycle Network paths.

Surely the best way of encouraging more people onto bikes and avoiding the danger of traffic for both drivers and cyclists, is to not put bike lanes near heavy traffic? Am I missing something?

Also - as an aside, I have used some of the cycle superhighways quite a bit, and even thought I am what you might call an experienced cyclist, I am always a bit worried using them. They are too narrow and cars seem to swerve in and out of them at will.. not to mention the cyclists!

Does anyone else ride in the direction of Victoria each day? Will this benefit them?

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Messages In This Topic
New Cross to Victoria Cycle Superhighway - ryananglem - 05-12-2012 02:21 PM