SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Babur Takeaway
admin
Administrator

14-10-2007 08:39 PM

Posts from old forum ...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Simod_the_bod
Joined 28-11-2006
Posted on Friday, 09 February, 2007 - 12:42 pm:

I've noticed that the Babur indian cuisine has opened up a takeaway a little further down the road.

Does anyone know whether it is of the same high standards as the restaurant? (Having never tried the restaurant, i've been led to believe its one of the best).

Cheers

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fhssecretary
Joined 12-10-2006
Posted on Friday, 09 February, 2007 - 01:35 pm:

Been there a while hasn't it? The consensus seemed to be that it didn't live up to the high standards set by the restaurant and was more your "standard" takeaway, but I've never used it.

Bosco
Joined 16-07-2004
Posted on Friday, 09 February, 2007 - 02:32 pm:

Takeaway's been there for Donkeys years I think. It is more the bog standard takeaway fare but still better than the average.

You should definitely try the restaurant - it's fantastic.

Dotcom
Joined 21-04-2005
Posted on Friday, 09 February, 2007 - 03:03 pm:

As above.

Robwinton
Joined 07-06-2006
Posted on Friday, 09 February, 2007 - 03:33 pm:

another vote from me for Bosco's comment

are they actually part of the same business or is one trading off the name of the other?

Jbird
Joined 13-02-2006
Posted on Friday, 09 February, 2007 - 04:17 pm:

The few times I've tried the Babur takeaway / delivery place near Crofton Park it's been alright but not great. Your best bet, if you can be bothered, is to call the restaurant and go and and pick up your food from there. They don't deliver, but it's worth 10 minutes of your time to get top quality curry. Even Jade Goody would approve.

Domc
Joined 17-03-2005
Posted on Friday, 09 February, 2007 - 04:38 pm:

the takeaway must be part of the same "group" as when restaurant getting refurbished they sent all registered customers information about goign to takeaway place for food.

Takeaway is a more standard menu and unfortunately not to the same standard but the restaurant is excellent and am a regular visitor.

Theotherbrian
Joined 28-03-2005
Posted on Friday, 09 February, 2007 - 05:06 pm:

Restaurant absolutely top-notch but never tried the take-away, although it's been around for yonks.

Annie
Joined 27-06-2006
Posted on Friday, 09 February, 2007 - 05:36 pm:

Recent take-away was v disappointing - not great food and tiny portions. Better to get it direct from the restaurant or from Kafe La if you want a delivery.

Liz
Joined 26-04-2006
Posted on Friday, 09 February, 2007 - 06:34 pm:

I've heard somewhere that Babur takeaway is nothing to do with the lovely Babur restaurant. When Babur was being refurbished and I asked the takeaway people when it would reopen(assuming they were the same joint), they were very vague and gave me leaflets for a restaurant in Croydon. So that seemed to confirm that it was Babur in name alone.

Fhssecretary
Joined 12-10-2006
Posted on Friday, 09 February, 2007 - 11:49 pm:

Liz, I think that's just because they weren't sure when it would be finished. The Croydon place is the third one in the group and Babur (restaurant) was promoting it as an alternative during the closure.

For takeaways, I can highly recommend Elachi.

Calvin
Joined 20-02-2006
Posted on Saturday, 10 February, 2007 - 11:38 am:

As if by magic, in the post today, a menu for Babur (119 Brockley Rise) in an envelope along with one for their 'home dining menu' - address 443 Brockley Road, Crofton Park...

Roz
Joined 17-03-2005
Posted on Saturday, 10 February, 2007 - 12:26 pm:

We went there last night, the first time since the refurb. The decor was stunning but unfortunately we found the food less so- well below expectations. My partner is always loathe to comment critically even when invited to do so ( very English of him!)however but for him I would have spoken my mind about paying ?20 for something totally inedible. If everyone pretends its ok how are they going to improve? However there seemed to be a lot of happy punters there last night so maybe its just not for us. Still prefer the ones in Lordship Lane , ie the Curry Cabin for 'traditional', the Pistachio Club for traditional plus, and Tandoori Nights for the best 'cuisine'. Will try Kafe La soon as also comes highly recommended.

Londondrz
Joined 09-04-2006
Posted on Saturday, 10 February, 2007 - 06:13 pm:

I like Babur for the odd evening out but have to say that for both eat in and take away Elachi is fantastic. A good indicator on how good a place is is to take my very fussy in laws and they love Elachi with a passion.

Roz
Joined 17-03-2005
Posted on Sunday, 11 February, 2007 - 11:47 am:

Thanks for the recommendation, we'll certainly try Elachi next time.

Simod_the_bod
Joined 28-11-2006
Posted on Sunday, 11 February, 2007 - 01:02 pm:

Thanks folks for all your comments.
Might give the take away a miss after all and take the plunge for the real thing.

Elachi seems to be well recommended also. Where is it exactly?

(Probably, bang opposite my house)!

Queenofdarts
Joined 30-11-2006
Posted on Sunday, 11 February, 2007 - 10:58 pm:

Elachi is on Stanstead Road, very near the Railway Telegraph. I've been there a couple of times... it's OK, but I would definitely recommend Kafe La.

Robwinton
Joined 07-06-2006
Posted on Sunday, 11 February, 2007 - 11:34 pm:

Not to be picky, but Elachi is *technically* on Sunderland Road at the section of the South Circular where it you go from being on Waldram Park Road, take a quick left turn onto Sunderland Road, then hard right becoming Stanstead Road.

Never tried it though and I live but a few steps away. Nice to hear good reviews. Definitely would agree with Kafe La for both home and eat-in though.

Michael
Joined 04-03-2005
Posted on Monday, 12 February, 2007 - 03:30 am:

Dewaniam is on Stanstead Road and is another nice local Indian restaurant. I have to confess, I have not been there for about 15 years, but I am planning to give it another try as I have heard its reputation has improved while Babur's has stagnated.
Elachi is relatively (compared to Babur) cheap, basic, but good selection, good value, and a pleasant atmosphere.

Haylands
Joined 29-09-2006
Posted on Monday, 12 February, 2007 - 10:46 am:

We're Kafe La fans, particulary the home service. When feeling less lazy, there's 20% off if you pick up yourself. Food is definitely quality and not quantity. Nothing worse than an 'over dosed' curry hangover for a Monday morning. Dishes are great, and a little different from the usual fare. However you can still get the old favourites for die hard 'madras tradionalist'!!

Orangutan100
Joined 05-11-2006
Posted on Monday, 12 February, 2007 - 01:52 pm:

IMO the food in Babur is excellent and is comparable with the top Indian restaurants in the West-end. The service could be a little better. They are always friendly but can be a little pushy, and some wine knowledge would go a long way. They are having a Rajasthani 'festival' over the next couple of weeks and the menu for this looks great.
I might be getting restaurants mixed up but weren't Elachi offering Chicken Tikka Massala (CTM's) for 99p quite recently? Put me off.

Simod_the_bod
Joined 28-11-2006
Posted on Monday, 12 February, 2007 - 03:10 pm:

Funnily enough I have just driven past Dewaniam. I was actually thinking to myself that I don't remember seeing it before. Considering that Michael said it has been here for at least 15 years it just goes to show how bad my perception skills are!

Just to re-inforce this, where is Kafe La?

Misskitty
Joined 16-01-2007
Posted on Monday, 12 February, 2007 - 03:57 pm:

The Babur is taking part in the Times offer - 2 course meal and a glass of wine for ?15 (?10 lunch) each http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/fo od_and_drink/commercial/good_food/

Robwinton
Joined 07-06-2006
Posted on Monday, 12 February, 2007 - 04:05 pm:

Kafe La is on the very start of Perry Vale, very close to the East entrance to the station

Haylands
Joined 29-09-2006
Posted on Monday, 12 February, 2007 - 04:36 pm:

Opposite Dawes for Doors, and just down from Finches Ski shop.

Simod_the_bod
Joined 28-11-2006
Posted on Tuesday, 13 February, 2007 - 01:59 pm:

Cheers folks.
Just picked up a copy of SE23 Living from Mayo Makers on Dartmouth Rd.

They featured a lot of restaurants. Think I'm going to have to try a few!

Best buy a belt first I think....

Tersie
Joined 04-02-2007
Posted on Monday, 19 February, 2007 - 10:53 pm:

Thanks Miss Kitty

I shall be checking it out!! By all accounts it is quite expensive so this will be a good way to try thier wares.

Foresters
Joined 31-05-2006
Posted on Friday, 23 February, 2007 - 11:23 am:

Cafe Jeera on Dartmouth Road is well worth a visit. After many visits over the last year, I have yet to be even a bit disappointed.

Fhssecretary
Joined 12-10-2006
Posted on Friday, 23 February, 2007 - 11:44 am:

We don't do badly for Indians, do we

Dotcom
Joined 21-04-2005
Posted on Friday, 23 February, 2007 - 12:00 pm:

I'm not Indian!

On a more serious note, I had a Babur take away recently and have to withdraw my previous recommendation.

Aduncan
Joined 18-09-2007
Posted on Wednesday, 19 September, 2007 - 05:37 pm:

Did any of you guys know that you can also order the usual takeaway food directly from Baburs? You do not have to go to their takeaway service up the road. The quality is better and not everyone wants to venture through such Baburs excellent but, at times, bewildering, menu.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Messages In This Topic
Babur Takeaway - Admin - 14-10-2007 08:39 PM