SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Help the Horniman - newsletter editor needed
Pfox

20-02-2012 10:07 AM

The Friends of the Horniman Museum committee are looking for a new editor to take over the quarterly newsletter (a 24-page A5 publication) that goes out to all Friends. This is a voluntary position that would suit somebody who works - or has experience of working - in publishing, and who would like to do their bit for the local community!

I am the current editor but am leaving the area in the summer. Your duties would include: deciding what's going into each newsletter; commissioning people (usually museum staff) to write features; editing/proofreading/fact checking features; sourcing images; liaising with the newsletter designer, who does the layout (using InDesign); final proofreading etc before sign-off. I also compile a couple of simple pages (the diary page, contents etc). If you wanted to take on more writing, there would be scope to do this. Knowledge of InDesign is pretty much essential, but you don't need your own copy if you are prepared to go to the designer's house, as I do, to make changes. Each newsletter takes around 20-25 hours of my time, spread over a number of weeks - I have small children and have found the newsletter easy to fit around nursery/school runs etc and it has been a good way to maintain my skills.

Attention to detail is vital, as is an interest in the goings on at the Horniman. It is not essential to join the Friends' committee, but it would be very useful to do so, as meetings are a great opportunity to learn about the latest museum news and get ideas for new features. The Friends work closely with museum staff, who are extremely helpful and willing to write features for the newsletter. The committee meets about 6 times a year, on a Wednesday, for 1.5hrs.

If you think you might be interested, or would like more information about what would be involved, please send me a message.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Messages In This Topic
Help the Horniman - newsletter editor needed - Pfox - 20-02-2012 10:07 AM

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Newsletter Editor required saracarbone81 0 2,613 08-04-2013 09:00 PM
Last Post: saracarbone81