SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Lewisham borough a vibrant place to live - it's official
baggydave

11-03-2008 11:53 PM

Had a fascinating conversation today with someone working with local boroughs on community cohesion, engagement and empowerment. It all sounds a bit fluffy but I'll try to explain, whilst not commiting too much to paper as not sure if the info is in the public domain.

Community cohesion is about people from different cultures getting on together. Where this goes wrong you have situations as seen a few years ago in Oldham, Bradford and Burnley.

UK experience, contrary to that of the US, is that more diverse areas have better community cohesion than those with a tighter mix. Also that your normal tangible factors such as jobs, amenities and housing don't necessarily improve things (or at least the council's that focus on socioeconomic factors are less successful).

We spoke about a number of boroughs which were considered to be deprived which scored fairly well on the scale, and one of the outer ones that was very poor (non South of the river). But the shining example was Lewisham, which surprised me as I don't tend to take a lot of notice when they send stuff though, and have even accused them of tokenism in the past. There was particular reference to LBLs approach with the yound and with schools (the latter is something I recognise)

Good to hear views including any official ones, and whether there is a reference to the community cohesion index for local authorities out there in cyberspace.

I'd love to get the LB of Bromley score, which I am sure would confirm my prejudices. For those of you in a panic about secondary schools this should be a big plus point for the Borough. Southwark aint bad either, despite their roads!

BD - Our little ray of sunshine

PS went to Lewisham's holocaust rememberence day a year and a it ago at the Theatre and it was a stunning incredably well thought out and delivered event

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Messages In This Topic
Lewisham borough a vibrant place to live - it's official - baggydave - 11-03-2008 11:53 PM

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Lewisham live-garden waste recycling juels 11 10,161 11-05-2016 02:24 PM
Last Post: dlf75