SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Our local supermarket: a cautionary tale
notstoppin

11-11-2011 06:27 PM

Does this ring a bell with anyone else?

I've just returned from a shopping expedition at Sainsbury's in Forest Hill. My first port of call was the meat and fish aisle where I looked at a couple of 'price-reduced' items - a fillet steak and a free-range chicken. Although 'reduced', both seemed surprisingly expensive but it was hard to check the maths as the 'reduced' label was placed over the original one in such a way that the original price was obscured. Nonetheless, a quick bit of mental arithmetic (£ per kg x weight) confirmed that something was amiss so I carefully peeled back the 'reduced' labels to find that the starting-prices were actually much lower than those claimed - so much so that the actual 'reductions' were minimal.

Intrigued, I checked a few other items and found a number of similar 'errors'. In each and every case the original price was over-stated (never once under-stated) and the actual 'saving' minimal or non-existent.

I sought-out the duty manager, explained what I had found and asked him for an explanation. He was very apologetic but insisted that there was a simple explanation. He said the items I had found were all items that are priced individually according to their weight. The member of staff who had reduced those items must have misunderstood this. Consequently, having correctly reduced one item - a chicken, say - they had then printed identical labels for all the other chickens being reduced, rather than re-pricing them individually.

Clearly this 'explanation' could only be true if the errant member of staff had 'accidentally' reduced the heaviest and most expensive steak / chicken / salmon fillet before re-pricing all the others. Otherwise, I might have found items whose original price was HIGHER than that stated on the 'reduced' label. (Needless to say, I didn't.)

Anyway, having I hope made my point - by threatening to report the matter to Trading Standards and insisting that the items in question were taken away and re-labeled - I resumed my shopping. Before going to the check-out, however, I returned to the meat and fish aisle to see whether the items I had found had been re-labelled with the correctly-reduced price. They weren't there so I can't say - but this time I found three newly 'reduced' organic, free-range chickens, of differing sizes and weights but all reduced from £13.04 to £8.79. Again, the 'reduced' labels masked the original ones. But when I peeled-off those 'reduced' labels I found that none of the chickens had originally been priced as high as £13.04. In fact the largest had started out at around £10 (so the actual reduction was pretty minimal) whilst the smallest had actually been priced at £8.50 originally and was therefore marginally MORE expensive after being "reduced".

This is by no means the first time that I have found goods (and not just 'reduced' goods) wrongly-priced in Sainsbury's - and I have yet to find a single 'error' in the customer's favour. Is it just me or have others had similar experiences?

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Messages In This Topic
Our local supermarket: a cautionary tale - notstoppin - 11-11-2011 06:27 PM