SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Stanstead lodge tree felling/preservation order
MPC

21-02-2008 02:48 AM

Just wondered if there were any users of this forum who were affected by the recent tree felling in the grounds of Stanstead lodge (the large turreted Seniors building on Stanstead road between Fermor and Northwood roads).

About 20 or so large conifer/pine (I'm no tree expert!) trees were felled a few weeks ago. As a local resident there was no notification of this, just a sudden invasion of tree surgeons over a couple of days.

I sense there are many residents on Fermor road with gardens backing onto the Lodge grounds who now have a very different, less attractive view from there back windows. The landscape is totally different! I was fearing it was being done for potential building development but one of the tree surgeons said the felling was to let in more light to the grounds for the creation of vegetable patches!!

I think the council must have received some calls of complaint because a tree preservation order has been issued in relation to the sycamore trees at the front of the site and 5 lovely large oak trees in the grounds behind (a lime and maple are also included). This is encouraging although would still like to know what the felling was officially for, and for that fact who actually is in charge of those grounds, is it the seniors lodge or the housing company running the Blackmore House sheltered accommodation on Northwood road?

Anyway, good to see the Lodge itself (The former mayors residence) is being restored with lottery funding and the help of heritage for London.

So hopefully no more worrying surprises and the trees will remain providing... 'a valuable contribution to the amenity and character of this particular area' (the official wording on the tree protection order)!

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Messages In This Topic
Stanstead lodge tree felling/preservation order - MPC - 21-02-2008 02:48 AM

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Tree felling in Sydenham Hill Wood Theotherbrian 5 5,558 12-11-2019 02:57 PM
Last Post: Herbparis
  A Talk on the History of Stanstead Lodge hillview 0 3,353 06-06-2018 06:48 AM
Last Post: hillview