SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Could we have a community-run film society in SE23?
admin
Administrator

14-10-2007 09:48 PM

Posts from old forum ...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Millesens
Joined 21-04-2006
Posted on Sunday, 30 September, 2007 - 11:17 pm:

I haven't had the chance to try the Dulwich Paradiso Film Society but it seems such a good idea. Given that we don't have a cinema in se23 it would be brilliant to have a society showing good films in a local venue. Or maybe the Forest Hill society leisure commitee could organise a season of events including a film festival of some sort. I used to live in France and we had a cinematheque with such good films on. Much cheaper than the cimena, it would provide an excuse for a nice evening out in Forest Hill.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mrjamon
Joined 11-06-2007
Posted on Monday, 01 October, 2007 - 04:35 pm:

Great Idea Millesens! I'll be up for that. What possible venues can we choose from? Isn't there a hall for hire near Kafe La? Crystal Ball I think it's called. Otherwise we can have it at mine (capacity 4 and a half people).

Nevermodern
Joined 09-02-2007
Posted on Monday, 01 October, 2007 - 05:50 pm:

Some info on starting one:

http://freespace.virgin.net/dave.watters...ciety.html

Baggydave
Joined 19-05-2004
Posted on Monday, 01 October, 2007 - 09:19 pm:

They did film nights in the Lattitude a few years ago. As with the bar. this died a death unfortunately. There is a wonderful cinema across the road called the Capitol, unfortunately it is lacking a screen and I doubt whether they have had a film there for thirty years (Brian? Steve G?). Best to get on a bus and join our posh friends in East Dulwich. Would be interested in a report from the Paradiso having planned to go there for many years. Believe that they have occasional films in the Broadway theatre but otherwise we are devoid of a cinema in the borough - sad aint it.

Just checked out web site: http://www.paradisofilm.co.uk/
Odd that it is in the EDT, where of course the EDC used to be until they decided to turn the upstairs into a bar/restaurant and kick the cabaret out after 15 years or so. Perhaps the refrubished Hob could put films pn

Millesens
Joined 21-04-2006
Posted on Tuesday, 02 October, 2007 - 01:46 pm:

Maybe the Dartmouth Arms or the Hob have a room that could be used for the Film Society. Or even better if The Horniman Museum could get involved. They already have a lot of community based activities.

Michael
Joined 04-03-2005
Posted on Tuesday, 02 October, 2007 - 02:04 pm:

Horniman did recently show An Inconvenient Truth, unfortunately it was at an Inconvenient Time. But they must have space for a small film group. I believe that the Honor Oak pub has the necessary facilities in their back room and I would expect the refurbished Hob may be able to hold such an event when there is not comedy on. Not enough room at the Dartmouth and the Crystal Ballroom is probably a bit too big.

What it needs for this to go ahead is for a few people to commit some time and energy to make it happen. If there are enough people who have a commitment to make this happen then I am sure the FH Society will support you, help with publicity, and give any advice we can on how to make it a success. There are loads of university and local film societies, once you make a connection with one of them the rest of the arrangements would be relatively easy. Alternatively, hire a video from Blockbusters, they might even be willing to sponsor the event.

Personally I think the key to making it work is a supply of beer and a nice interval for a chat - I hate sitting still for more than 45 minutes.

Webmaster
Joined 01-01-2003
Posted on Wednesday, 03 October, 2007 - 10:00 pm:

At the Forest Hill Society AGM this evening a gentleman representing Forest Hill Library spoke of plans for a film club in the library when it reopens on 11th December.

Betrel
Joined 09-10-2007
Posted on Tuesday, 09 October, 2007 - 07:06 pm:

This sounds brilliant, I'd definitely be interested and think its something worthy of lots of support. We moved to Forest Hill at the end of July from Peckham, and although there are perks associated in being in gorgeous and slightly calmer area like FH we certainly miss having Peckham cinema close by.
It would be great to have film nights which explored different genres, included world and political cinema as well as the big blockbuster style movies.

Jamie
Joined 31-10-2006
Posted on Wednesday, 10 October, 2007 - 12:24 pm:

We'd be happy to support this at The Honor Oak - the back room does indeed have a big white wall and a projector (although admittedly not much else) that could easily be used for a film club.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Messages In This Topic
Could we have a community-run film society in SE23? - Admin - 14-10-2007 09:48 PM

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Life in SE23 - Our community Forest Hill library partnership bid P1971 12 12,342 22-05-2016 10:50 PM
Last Post: P1971