SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Why are coffee shops so important to 'young professionals'?
robin orton

24-02-2011 12:30 PM

I've got an amateur interest - part avuncular, part ethnological - in the folkways of the group who now seem to prefer to call themselves 'young professionals'. (I assume 'yuppies' is now thought to be un-PC.) On the frequent discussions in this forum about gentrification, whether FH/HoP on the up and up, house prices etc, coffee shops seem to feature prominently. Two recent examples form the 'HoP house prices' thread

Quote:
but I do think that our area is above average for London in so many ways (green space, views, connections to Central London and Dockland, coffee shop index, quality of schools, etc)

Quote:
there are no chains such as Prezzo and Caffe Nero that attract young professionals like us.

I can understand the attraction of coffee shops when one is travelling away from home. But I rarely if ever feel the need to go to a coffee shop in FH where I live. If I want a cup of coffee, I make it myself at home - much cheaper and more convenient. So I assume that coffee shops must have some special signification in 'young professional' culture which outsiders like me find it difficult to read. Has anyone done any research on this?

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Messages In This Topic
Why are coffee shops so important to 'young professionals'? - robin orton - 24-02-2011 12:30 PM