SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Scams
roz

17-01-2011 09:54 AM

A few years ago my partner and I were passing through Gatwick and unusually for us I did one of these competitions to win a free holiday on the spot, don't know why, must have been bored.

Anyway a few weeks later I was contacted by someone who said I'd won a free holiday. All I had to do was to attend a market testing session at Brands Hatch one Saturday. We thought something was too good to be true but we went along out of curiosity. The appointment was for 12 noon. There were a number of people there like us and we waited until 12.45 until someone came for us. No refreshments were offered which people grumbled about as it was lunchtime and you couldnt buy any anywhere. We were eventually shown into a presentation room where we were treated to a video presentation and a talk about how much money we could save on standard holidays if we signed up for their deal and paid over £6k key money for the privilege. You can probably get the idea of it all from that. We were put into small groups where a person from the staff asked us for any questions we had. Ours was about bonding of the £6k and net present value and all that stuff. Well not surprisingly the person couldnt answer the question. I needed to go to the toilet and before I did they made sure I couldn't take any advertising material with me. We left early saying it was a scam but on the way out the staff tried to search us in case we'd taken any of their material out of the room. It really started to feel quite threatening. Needless to say this was a scam of considerable magnitude and effort and I would imagine that a number of the other people there fell for it a some chequebooks were coming out as we left. We tried to trace the company but they did not seem to exist and Brands Hatch management had a false address for them.

Beware therefore, some of these things can be very convincing but thankfully we didn't fall for any of it but it is perhaps unfortunate that some people do.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Messages In This Topic
Scams - roz - 17-01-2011 09:54 AM
RE: Scams - brian - 28-01-2011, 10:23 AM
RE: Scams - jon14 - 28-01-2011, 11:27 AM
RE: Scams - roz - 28-01-2011, 09:43 PM
RE: Scams - derbybill - 29-01-2011, 04:35 PM
RE: Scams - derbybill - 29-01-2011, 04:40 PM
RE: Red bull marketing? - baggydave - 27-01-2011, 11:22 PM
RE: Red bull marketing? - roz - 27-01-2011, 11:52 PM
RE: Red bull marketing? - Cellar Door - 28-01-2011, 12:49 AM