SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Yet another form of theft on buses
Jane_D

18-04-2010 11:08 PM

I was nearly the victim of a (to me) new and quite ingenious form of pickpocketing yesterday evening. I was waiting to get off the bus in Camberwell. A man with what seemed to be a nearly empty but large white plastic bag in his arms came and stood very close to me, although the bus wasn't crowded, with the plastic bag held between us. The plastic bag was touching me and covered up my handbag, which was one of those messenger bags that go over your shoulder and hang close in front of you, so are usually fairly secure. I moved away because he was so close, and felt a tugging at my bag as though it was caught on something. When I looked, my handbag zipper was open, though I'm sure it was closed when I stood up a minute earlier. The man at once turned his back and looked studiously in the other direction, even when I said to my friend quite audibly, 'I think he was trying to steal my purse'. He didn't get off the bus at that stop although he was apparently waiting to get off.

Didn't quite have the assurance to confront him as it happened quite quickly and I wasn't absolutely 100 per cent sure what was going on, but I was as sure as I could be.

Yet another thing to look out for! The man was young, tall and slim with shaved hair, and I think African.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Messages In This Topic
Yet another form of theft on buses - Jane_D - 18-04-2010 11:08 PM