SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Swine flu vaccine for pregnant women
newcomer

28-10-2009 07:52 PM

Does anyone know which is more risky:
a) getting swine flu while pregnant; or
b) getting the swine flu vaccine while pregnant?

I've heard all sorts of horrors about the vaccine, in particular that:
- it's been inadequately tested, and not tested at all on kids or pregnant women;
- it contains Thimerosol (sp?) which is dervived from/is a form of (ethyl)mercury. Apparently this is potentially toxic to unborn kids and could cause birth defects or autism (though this is debated); and
- it also contains some other 'no-no' called Squalene (sp?). Not sure why this is bad though.

On the other hand, I've been reading in the press how risky contracting swine flu can be, though I've also heard reports that it's being overhyped and we should all be more worried about avian flu instead.

So... my question is.... does anyone have any real/proper information about the least risky course of action (apart from spending the winter hiding in the house with only a stockpile of Tamiflu for company)? I know that everything will be a guess at this stage, but I'm hoping that I could at least make an informed guess.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Messages In This Topic
Swine flu vaccine for pregnant women - newcomer - 28-10-2009 07:52 PM