SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Memorial benches removed from Honor Oak Crematorium
hillview

17-10-2018 10:36 AM

Quote:
Families of loved ones at the crematorium in Brockley Way describe being heartbroken by the actions of Southwark Council.

Patrick Whelan, whose daughter’s ashes are scattered by her bench, said it was “absolutely disgusting” that he had to bring her memorial home.

His daughter, Karen Whelan, died 12 years ago aged 37.

“It is so disrespectful,” he added. “I have other relatives whose ashes are scattered around the bench and when we visit it feels like they are there with us.”

He said the council told him his 10-year tenure was up, but he claims to never have signed such a contract.

“There is no tenure they just want to redevelop,” Patrick said. “I asked them to show me my signed tenure, but they said they didn’t have it.

“There are benches that have been there since 1938, I don’t think those families have been paying a 10-year tenure.”

Cathy Erskine, 54, was one of the first to come forward after learning her dad’s bench had been removed.

She claims no notice was placed on her bench and argues she would have brought it back to her garden if she had known.

Cathy told News Shopper: “I am absolutely fuming. My poor step mum is in her 80s and is heartbroken.

“My dad’s bench was nowhere near the redevelopment. I did see more benches that had been removed and put in the yard in the gardens. I am so stressed over this.”

It has been reported other benches have also been removed from the crematorium.

Councillor Richard Livingstone said: “We are very sorry for the distress caused by ongoing work to improve Honor Oak Crematorium.

“We hope to create a new burial and memorial space for the future, including a new, dedicated peace garden for babies and children’s memorials, as well as creating a more pleasant, peaceful and well-maintained site for families.

“We are very aware that this work can have an impact on people who visit the memorials of loved ones in this part of the crematorium.

“We ensured notices advising of the changes and how to contact us about them, were in the area from April this year and we are already working with Mrs Erskine and other families and would encourage anyone with concerns or questions to get in touch with us now.”

https://www.newsshopper.co.uk/news/16986...ematorium/

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Messages In This Topic
Memorial benches removed from Honor Oak Crematorium - hillview - 17-10-2018 10:36 AM

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Name Plates Missing on War Memorial @ Livesey Memorial Hall jgdoherty 6 6,794 31-10-2011 06:57 PM
Last Post: jgdoherty