SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Possible door to door scammer in forest hill??
Lovelylouise

20-10-2015 08:42 AM

Hello,

Last night around 7.30 pm, a door salesman appeared at my property.
He was a young guy,who explained he was selling household goods as part of a youth offenders rehabilitation program. I felt sorry for him,especially when he explained that this was his work experience and he needed to do this in order to get a job reference etc. It was cold so I dealt with him in my doorway, after searching through his box of household cleaning products(mostly overpriced) I picked out a few items and paid him(more then I want to admit to,might I add).
He had a laminated I,d card and the items had stuck on Logo's for the scheme,so alarm bells did not immediately ring,nor did he come across as creepy.
However,when I told my partner about this,they were certain it was a scam and alerted me to the fact the guy was probably casing the area.
I usually follow my gut with people and this guy seemed safe enough,but I thought I should google it to see if anything came up,NOW I WISH I DIDNT,there's a lot of police alerts for these same scammers and also plenty of forums about other peoples bad experience with them.So now I'm a little worried, I mean I hope it's enough that I just paid the guy,but in hindsight he was stood in my home,which admittedly was foolish on my part.
So I was wondering if anybody else in forest hill had this experience this evening or whether it's necessary to alert the local authorities to their presence.I know he did not do anything personally to me, but what if it is a crime gang casing the area for vulnerable people?
Any ideas?

Update: I forwarded this onto the forest hill safer neighbourhood department, figured it's better to be safe then sorry.

Louise

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Messages In This Topic
Possible door to door scammer in forest hill?? - Lovelylouise - 20-10-2015 08:42 AM

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Make a Christmas Door Wreath at Adult Learning Lewisham AdultLearningLew 0 2,483 01-12-2021 11:34 AM
Last Post: AdultLearningLew
  Police warning re door to door sellers admin 0 3,171 11-12-2016 01:23 PM
Last Post: admin
  Door to door con man in HOP mrcee 2 5,322 16-01-2013 06:39 PM
Last Post: moth
  Loft Grant, person knocking door Fhill 2 5,045 21-12-2012 12:38 PM
Last Post: JRW
  People door knocking offering a roof survey dbboy 19 19,164 28-04-2011 12:17 PM
Last Post: spud
  Door to door "charity" collectors AudereEstFacere 0 3,161 29-06-2010 06:13 PM
Last Post: AudereEstFacere
  Door to door scammers lette 5 8,156 05-08-2008 05:35 PM
Last Post: Holly