SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Street Lighting - just how bad is it?
rshdunlop

27-11-2014 08:40 AM

Now I'm driving mostly in the dark again, I'm reminded how bad the new street lighting is. As a driver, I'm either peering into the dark or blinded by a light in a dip, or confused by one that makes me think there's a car coming when there isn't. At an unfamiliar junction recently I had to slow to an almost complete stop because I just couldn't see where the turn was. I'm always relieved when I reach a road that still has the old orange sodium lights.

As a pedestrian, well, I'm getting fitter as I power walk through patches of pitch dark. My children, on the other hand, are getting less fit as they wait for a bus rather than walk up our road after dark, as they no longer feels safe (unwittingly following the Police advice that I so objected to on another thread here!).

I've contacted both Lewisham and Skanska about this. They said they would review specific areas of concern I raised, but it seems to me there is a wider problem than just a few streets where they got it wrong. But then I think surely they must know what they are doing when they design these lighting plans.

So - is it just me being a grouch, or is the new lighting really quite poor, bordering on dangerous?

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Messages In This Topic
Street Lighting - just how bad is it? - rshdunlop - 27-11-2014 08:40 AM

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Leaves on trees / new street lighting Snazy 7 7,200 14-12-2013 07:23 PM
Last Post: Snazy
  Skyglow and the new street lighting Erekose 2 4,069 04-09-2013 01:15 PM
Last Post: Erekose
  Devonshire Road Street Lighting Replacement snoopy 2 3,813 27-06-2013 06:58 PM
Last Post: snoopy