SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Lady on underpass steps by W H Smith
china girl

25-07-2014 09:50 PM

Did anyone notice a woman sitting on the steps last night and again this morning?
By the way, I am not writing this with a holier than thou attitude - I am one of the people who crossed to the other side of the road (steps in this case). Apologies in advance if I've got this scenario completely wrong - I'd be only too happy!

Today just left me slightly disappointed. We moved to Forest Hill from one of the nicest roads in Camberwell fifteen years ago; although I liked living in such a mixed, edgy area I don't miss having endless wing mirrors snapped off, car windows being smashed in broad daylight just to nick an old radio with no-one taking a blind bit of notice... anyway I digress...

Last night we (him indoors & me) had been out for a meal and when we were walking home at about 10pm saw this woman sitting on the steps, initial impression just a 'normal' quite up together person looking a bit sad. Him indoors said 'shall I go and ask if she's OK' but I wanted to get home so we walked on.

This morning step lady was still there sitting in exactly the same spot. Another passer by (with her young daughter) had also seen her last night so we asked if she was all right and step lady said she'd slept there overnight. She had a thick tweed jacket on and must have been sweltering in the full sun; this was shortly before that massive thunderstorm. Then the security guy from Smiths came over and we briefly told him our concerns. I found out later that a community policeman had been called and presumably step lady has now had professional help.

I just wondered if I'm being naive. Step lady didn't look like she'd be a menace to anyone. Maybe she's just down on her luck & didn't want to be pitied, and/or has mental health problems, but I'd like to think that in this neck of the woods we're more than a bunch of callous *****!

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Messages In This Topic
Lady on underpass steps by W H Smith - china girl - 25-07-2014 09:50 PM