SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Why are coffee shops so important to 'young professionals'?
spud

24-02-2011 07:59 PM

Do people 'tend not to go to' caffs? Which people? The Oak Cafe on Honor Oak Park, for example, seems to do quite a decent trade. My partner and myself are both quite fond of it. (It's probably fortunate that I find the smell of chips alluring on a woman...). And the neighbourhood as a whole manages to support four caffs within walking distance. Somebody's going to them!

Personally, I'm glad that Honor Oak Park is home to both the Oak Cafe and Hop Scotch. I use them both and they're both good at what they do. Although Hop Scotch could take a few tips from the Oak on getting the food to the table inside of an hour.

I take the point that it's good to have alcohol-free non-threatening spaces for anyone who doesn't feel comfortable hanging around a pub. And I don't have a beef with 'young professionals' per se. But browsing this forum, and it's East Dulwich equivalent, has made me aware of a little subset of the species who can sometimes seem a bit over-invested in the whole notion of being a 'young professional'. And I wonder whether coffee shops don't have a symbolic attraction for this subset that goes beyond pure utility?

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Messages In This Topic
RE: Why are coffee shops so important to 'young professionals'? - spud - 24-02-2011 07:59 PM