SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »
Early rising potato peeling volunteer required please!
Alice

28-12-2013 12:02 PM

I wondered if anyone might be happy to help out early on New Year's Day preparing vegetables for a couple of hours / hour and a half at St Saviours Church in Brockley Rise please?

There is a lunch being held in the church hall on new year's day for elderly / isolated people in the local community who otherwise might be seeing new year in on their own, and Tommo, who organises the lunches, could really do with some help as he will be on his own at that time in the morning and needs to prep vegetables for 30-40 guests.

I'd also like to say a big thank you to Cellardoor and Snazy for driving the minibus to collect and drop off guests on the day and P1971 for donating a big bag of sweets for the guests.

The SE23 forum has been a great help with a brilliant response from the local community!

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Snazy

28-12-2013 01:15 PM

I shall put my peelers, oops I mean feelers out and see if I can get anyone to help.

What sort of time do these duties start?
Have also said to Tommo I will help set up the night before if help is required.

The mission of the minibus run sounds exciting, if not a little scary lol.
CellarDoor, I dropped you a PM, can you drop me a PM or email me please re 1/1/14
Snazy123 at gmail.com

Snazy

28-12-2013 01:43 PM

Hi again Alice, I have 2-3 volunteers for the peeling and prepping duties, another helper with the minibus, so might be able to use 2 vehicles inc my car at this rate.
What time do helpers need to be at the hall for? And is help with anything else required?

Cellar Door

28-12-2013 02:09 PM

Hi Snazy,

You should have a missive in your Private Messages on SE23.com from me as you read this.

I reckon you will be the Captain of the Minibus and I will be the Co-Pilot. But we can figure that out when we meet in the next few days.

Oh, I have just seen your texts. Thank you.

I am doing my big move to the far lands of Sydenham today. All is progressing well. You may see me zipping around the hill in a silver Zipvan. I am the beardie one looking fraught wondering what life will be like in SE26. Are the people friendly down there?

I will call you tomorrow to see how you are set for a meet tomorrow evening. And maybe Tommo, too?

This New Year's Day lunch is coming together very nicely.

Thanks to Alice for arranging all the volunteers!

Cheers,

Rob

Snazy

28-12-2013 02:30 PM

Lol OK mate, if you need a hand, shout up. I have to pop to Croydon in a bit, but otherwise free.

As for the area, unfortunate timing for the stabbing to occur at the petrol station on your new patch.

Tomorrow evening is fine for me, but I will be in Croydon again til about 6pm, then free thereafter.

Indeed big thanks to Alice for putting this opportunity out there.

Alice

28-12-2013 02:44 PM

Thanks both! I think I have the easier task though, there's no way I'd want to drive the minibus, the largest vehicle I've ever driven is a golf...

Snazy that's great about the volunteers you've rustled up - thanks so much. I have checked my list for the volunteer situation for new year's day and I definitely need some more, particularly in the 9am-2.30pm slot but also in the afternoon (2-5pm) too. Would any of the people you've found be up for either of those slots? I only need one for first thing to do the veg prep, they will need to join Tommo at St Saviours at about 7am if possible.

Any volunteers with cars who are able to pick up and/or drop off a guest or two would be very helpful too...

Alice

Cellar Door

28-12-2013 02:48 PM

Snazy wrote:
As for the area, unfortunate timing for the stabbing to occur at the petrol station on your new patch

It wasn't me. I don't know nuffin about nuffin.

The locals at Sydenham will now be thinking that the rough lot from up North on the hill are invading if they read this.

I will have to work extra hard to make them believe that us SE23 lot are actually quite civilised regardless what is said on the Sydenham Town Forum.

Nicolanan

28-12-2013 03:00 PM

Hi Alice, I'm free and happy to help in any way on New Year's Day, can you text me on 07724 600 278.
Nicola

Snazy

28-12-2013 03:06 PM

No problem, I shall let them know about the other requirements. I assume it will be general host and cleaning up etc that's needed.

fionan

28-12-2013 03:12 PM

Two of us would like to help. What time do you want us? Fiona and Elizabeth

Alice

28-12-2013 03:20 PM

It is general hosting, serving food, helping with the raffle, cleaning up tables at end etc that is needed. Also just chatting with the guests and making them feel welcome.

Fiona and Elizabeth, it would be great if you could start at 9am ish on the day if possible please and for you to stay as late as you're able to to be honest (!)

If you PM me your email address I can send you some more details perhaps.

Thanks very much indeed!

Snazy

28-12-2013 04:16 PM

Really loving how this is all coming together now.

Alice, would it be possible to pop around and pick up the guest list I left in the minibus at some point.

P1971

28-12-2013 07:59 PM

Alice we can do the 2 till 5 slot with kid's in tow as we will have finished our family feast by then, and the kid's love getting involved so will find it fun. So put us down for 2/3 helpers.

Poppy9560

28-12-2013 11:13 PM

I would be happy to help out but am not an early riser at the best of times - anything after 10am and am capable of peeling potaotes etc - even have own peeler Smile

Alice

29-12-2013 08:47 AM

That's great, thanks so much Pauline! If you PM me your email address I'll send you the details, very good of you as you've already helped out and I know how busy you are!

Fiona and Elizabeth - looking forward to hearing from you so I can send you the details.

Snazy if you could send me the names for your helpers (or tell me when you pop in re the minibus today) that would be fantastic.

Thanks everyone!

Alice

29-12-2013 09:05 AM

and sorry - Poppy9560 - again if you could send me your email address by private message that would be great, thank you!

Cellar Door

29-12-2013 09:28 AM

Alice wrote:
Snazy...when you pop in re the minibus today...

Snazy, let me know when you pop over to Alice's place as I would love to scoot around, too. (If that is OK with you, Alice?)

I would love to look at the minibus beast. I just want to get a feel for what it looks like in my mind.

And to see if we need to make any modifications as I have heard that we may be passing through some of the badlands of South East London.

Like East Dulwich.

And we, therefore, may have to consider mounting a machine gun on the roof. To protect our lunch guests. Nothing more.

Like what I had to build back in Oz when I found out that the Mad Max movies were actually documentaries.

This post was last modified: 29-12-2013 09:36 AM by Cellar Door.

Anotherjohn

29-12-2013 06:18 PM

Hey Cellar Door - that looks like just what I need for 2014 when I go to collect rent in Dartmouth Road as things are apparently getting pretty rough down there! (I wouldn't use it when I go to Pauline though - cos it looks like it could get quite hot in that cockpit - and she pays me in chocolate coins).

Back on topic - well done all of you guys for doing what you're doing for our old folk!

This post was last modified: 29-12-2013 06:21 PM by Anotherjohn.

P1971

29-12-2013 07:13 PM

Alice I've sent you a PM with my email but not to worry we'll be there at 2 Thumbsup

Cellar Door and Anotherjohn it used to be Beirut once upon a time on D Rd I hear, but I think it's quite lovely now. Still nerf gun at the ready if I need to use it so WATCH OUT you two! Haha.

All the best next year to you both.

Snazy

30-12-2013 04:17 PM

Hi Alice, sorry I didnt see this post until now. Im waiting to see if my sister can help. She has the little ones with her, so might have to work something else out there. And also a friends wife volunteered, but now unsure about child care as one of them is poorly.
Worst case scenario, I will come along, peel some spuds, then scoot off in the mini bus.
Another friend Ali, is able to give some time between 9 and 12 if that helps with anything.

Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields