SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
NYE in Forest Hill
Duckling

26-11-2013 07:37 PM

This might sounds like I'm planning ahead a bit, but I'm trying to work out New Year's Eve plans. When we lived in Rotherhithe, we had a bit of a tradition going to see the fireworks from Stave Hill (aka, the Mound) in the Russia Dock Woodland. Given what lovely hills we have in SE23, I was hoping that there'd be a good spot to catch the fireworks slightly closer to home.

Does anyone know where is considered a good place to congregate to see the fireworks? I was thinking the Horniman gardens, but I've no idea if they are even open for NYE. I'd also be interested to know if any of the local eateries/drinkeries are considering putting anything on?

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
rshdunlop

26-11-2013 08:55 PM

We had a rather magical evening last New Year's Eve in Canvas and Cream. They did a special four-course dinner in the gallery, which had a ice-queen / winter wonderland theme. We sat at wheeled picnic benches all done up with red velvet cushions, and were wheeled around to different parts of the gallery for each course - we just lifted our feet and off we went. Great fun, completely barmy, and the food was delicious, as were the cocktails.

TheMinxyBee

30-11-2013 05:25 PM

We have seen the fireworks across London at midnight from the top of Sydenham Rise/Sydenham Hill - it does get a little bit crowded on the small corner but it is a good view. Enjoy.Thumbup

silversioux

30-11-2013 05:41 PM

they have fireworks at midnight on the roof of the hob opposite forest hill station

Cellar Door

30-11-2013 06:02 PM

TheMinxyBee wrote:
...from the top of Sydenham Rise/Sydenham Hill.

I was just standing there about 3 o'clock. I've lived in SE23 for nearly 17 years and did not know such a view like that existed.

I had to get off my bicycle and gawp at it. Amazing.

Duckling wrote:
I was thinking the Horniman gardens, but I've no idea if they are even open for NYE.

If they did, then that would be inspired of them.

They could sell drinkies and nibbles from the bandstand area. There is heating in the bit where you can picnic inside and that lovely glass pavilion could be dressed up for the evening. They would make a small fortune.

Duckling wrote:
I'd also be interested to know if any of the local eateries/drinkeries are considering putting anything on?

The Hob always has a cracking NYE.

Tickets sell fast. The brilliant door staff headed by Trevor make it the best night. They seriously keep good control on things and numbers of people are so well controlled that getting a drink is a dream.

The Hob's fireworks are a local tradition. They fire them off from the roof and I always look forward to seeing and hearing them.

Good luck with your planning, Duckling.

And I hope this is not too early...

I hope you have a great 2014!

TheMinxyBee

12-12-2013 08:48 AM

I know Cellar Door it is an amazing view seen the most amazing weather and fireworks over London from there...always love driving up from Sydenham and over the roundabout thinking wow I am lucky to live here Thumbup

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields