SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Blockbuster
Foresters

22-10-2007 09:20 AM

Following on from the Aceri thread...

I also spoke to staff at Blockbuster yesterday who said that William Hill had bought the whole site. They also said that Blockbuster had been making a loss of ?100K per annum - and that William Hill had made an offer to cover these losses to get the property (described by the Blockbuster staff member as an offer that couldn't be refused).

We'll have to wait to see if the site does get split into two and part rented out to another concern.

Did anyone see the staunch objections to the planning application raised by our Town Centre Manager (from page 4 of the attached PDF). Admirable though ineffective.

Attached File(s)
.pdf File  22067_1.pdf (Size: 277.97 KB / Downloads: 846)
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
loca

22-10-2007 11:34 AM

The council only gave permission to make half of the unit into a betting shop, so I guess the other side would be given to another business.

vipes

22-10-2007 11:53 AM

At least the more addiction-prone members of our community will be more confined in their shuttling between booky and boozer

alex78

Question  23-10-2007 11:54 AM

The pdf posted by Foresters makes very interesting reading.

I don't really know anything about council planning applications, etc. But perhaps someone who does can briefly explain how it possible for the council to give this project the go-ahead given so many valid objections? Does the council ever have to issue a statement justifying such decisions (in response to general objections raised)?

Thanks in advance.

Scorpion

23-10-2007 03:53 PM

I noticed earlier, while re-reading old threads, this post on the forum, so it was not a bolt out of the blue

http://www.se23.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=19

I, for one (non-betting person, these days, apart from the Lottery) am neither happy or dis-pleased this chain-store has closed - uum, well maybe slightly. Whenever I rent movies/games etc. I use the ONE local, friendly and caring, great shop in FH, on Dartmouth Road.

Apollo opened and folded, same now with Blockbuster. To me, that says something about Independents being more caring (and persevering)
HURRAH!!!!!!

Sue

Foresters

25-10-2007 09:42 AM

Scorpion wrote:
Whenever I rent movies/games etc. I use the ONE local, friendly and caring, great shop in FH, on Dartmouth Road.

Friendly & caring maybe, but I rented a film from there on one occasion and watched a message at the start saying "for retail sale only, please report if you have rented this film.."!

nevermodern

25-10-2007 10:43 AM

Other video rental shops in the area should be using this closure to their advantage - I passed Blockbusters yesterday and noticed a bemused father and daughter, disappointed that the shop was closed. They seemed unaware there was another rental shop in the area. A bit of flyering at the train station of a morning might be an idea for those concerned.

millesens

25-10-2007 11:51 AM

I have been using the "other" film rental shop for 5 years now. They have a good selection of films and a very decent selection of foreign language films. The owner is a really nice person; we always have a little chat. I remember that when Blockbuster arrived he was afraid of going out of business and I am so happy he didn't. He was recently telling me that he has been living in the area for such a long time and although he now lives just outside he considers himself a part of the community. Here is proof of an independent local business succeeding where big chains fails.

nevermodern

25-10-2007 05:12 PM

Talking of a great local business: has anyone seen the Halloween window display in at Lauren't florist? Another example of a great little, creative local business seemingly doing well.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields